Please post your ftdna "My Origins" results for comparison:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richard86 View Post
    Yes, it does seem to match what we know, not that we know too much - just that all his ancestors were from the north of Ireland, in the same little area of County Down for the most part!

I think he was hoping for something a bit more exotic Looks like we didn't move around too much!
    I think it means his people got to the British Isles before the Johnny-come-latelies.

Comment

I am adopted but now have the names of ea birth parent and some lineage from making contact with those families. My birth father is 100% Greek/Cypriot with his mother coming from the Argos area of Greece and his fathers line all from Cyprus- Kato Drys area.
      My Origins say I am 4% middle eastern with the highlights being in the Turkey-Cyprus region.
      My birth mom and her family were from Denmark and Lithuania. My Origins say the other 96% are 36% eastern Europe, 37% western/central Europe and 23% Scandinavian.
      I transferred my data from Ancestry so I do not have a haplogroup. Just ordered a kit from Natl Geographic which will give me one.
      Misty

Comment

My results - I am not surprised

I have one set of 3rd great grandparents who were born in France. The rest of that generation and on down were born in the United States. I am 100% European.

65% British Isles
        17% Western and Central Europe
        14% Southern Europe
        2% Scandinavia
        2% Finland and Northern Siberia

Comment

My great granmother is from Germany and everybody else from Southern Sweden as far as I know. My result was pretty much what I expected. I dont belive North Afrika is significant, but 9& British Isle seems odd to me.

European 98%
          Scandinavia 79%
          British Isles 9%
          Western and Central Europé 9%
          Finland and Northern Sibiria 1%

Middle East 2%
          North Africa 2%

Comment

Originally posted by wombat View Post
            FamilyFinder results that came in seem to verify my dad actually does have a real Finnish ancestor within reasonable family tree time frame. Geno 2.0 hinted he might have one due to reasons too complex to get into again here. 23 said he got 1.9%. Geno 2.0 NG hinted that he might have one since he got a bit more Finland and Northern Siberia than people from his main country of ancestry usually get. One a segment that 23 paints as Finnish turned up to have 6 matches on FamilyFinder on the exact same spot and all but one seem list nothing but Finnish ancestry and the one who does not seems to list nothing but Scandinavian ancestry!

Comment

origins

European 99%
              composed off:
              British Isles 59%
              Western & Central Europe 20%
              Scandinavia 20%

the family have been in Lanc's for last 350 yrs
              Last edited by shentonjim; 22nd September 2016, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I am from South America and my results are:

Southern Europe: 51%
                Finland & Northern Siberia: 1%
                New World Native American: 30%
                North East Asia: 10%
                Central Asia: 8%.

Perhaps MO makes some confusion between Native American and Sami people. Also it is a little strange the result of Central Asia (Afghanistan), although 'My Ancestral History' explains that the Central Asian cluster has appeared in the Pacific and the New World.

Comment

New information to add:

While my mother was adopted, I have lately uncovered details about her mother's family:

Her mother was part of a German missionary family (so I guess that would make my mother 2nd generation immigrant?) Her mother and most of the siblings were born in Namibia (then, German SW Africa), but the grandmother came from Northern Germany (then Prussia), near the Danish border. The ancestors I presently have identified on this side are all German missionaries, born either in Germany, Namibia, or South Africa.

Unexpectantly, I was also able to discover the source of the 3% African heritage---my fourth great grandmother was a native African woman of the Khoikhoi tribe (colonial terms: Bushmen or Hottentot). This person has at least one book written about her ("The Invisible Woman: Zara Schmelen; African mission assistant at the Cape and in Namaland" by Ursula Trüper).

While I was searching for info on Zara, I was able to contact my new 3rd cousin from South Africa, as he had written a number of articles about her. (Though he hasn't been genetically tested...all the links to my mother's birthmothers family has been through genealogy alone...though I would like to get some people genetically tested to know for sure).

Originally posted by Khnm2016 View Post
                  My FTDNA "Origins" results are:

97% European (83% British Isles, 14% Scandinavian)
                  3% East African

My Mother (who is adopted, though the claim is that her father was Swedish and her mother was of German descent):
                  91% European (45% British Isles, 31% Scandinavian, 15% West & Central Europe)
                  5% African (4% East Central, 1% South-Central)
                  2% Central Asia
                  (the other 2% isn't showing up in the results)

Both my mother and I are "White People", which you'd expect from our results, but my mother appears to have some 3rd, 4th, and 5th cousins (from FF tool) who appear to have strong African origins.

Comment

Originally posted by loisrp View Post
                    KaiserT, that is very interesting you got 3% Finland & Northern Siberia. I'm assuming you don't have a recent Finnish or Russian ancestor. Is that typical for Pakistanis? Do you have any FamilyFinder matches who are Finnish (or Swedish)?
                    loisrp: The Finnish component seems a bit baffling, but I have run my results on GEDmatch as well, and almost all calculators throw up Finnish or Siberian ancestry between 2-4%. I do not have any Russian or Finnish ancestors, either in family history or FamilyFinder matches.
                    My mother is mtDNA J2, which is rare in Pakistan (@2%), but has a presence at upto 5% in parts of Europe, with 2-3% in Finland. I think that J2 spread out from Asia Minor/Caucasus, mostly into Europe, but has a minor presence in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. So maybe that is the linkage. Intriguing, nonetheless.

Comment

Finnish Connection is odd.

I am a Pakistani by country origin. Y-DNA: R(M-124), mtDNA: J2. My ethnic composition (based on autosomal DNA) is as follows:

CENTRAL/SOUTH ASIAN - 84%
                      - Central Asia - 47%
                      - South Asia - 37%
                      MIDDLE EASTERN - 13%
                      - Asia Minor - 8%
                      - Eastern Mid-East - 5%
                      EUROPEAN - 3%
                      - Finland & Northern Siberia - 3%

I have run the FTDNA autosomal results on GEDmatch and almost all calculators show a Finnish presence of 2-4%. The Finnish connection is odd, as we have no known ancestor from Finland or Northern Siberia. The only clue is my mother's mtDNA Haplogroup J2, which is rare in Pakistan with an incidence of ~2%, but has a fairly high incidence in Finland (10% mtDNA Hg J). It is possible that, while the bulk of the Anatolian/Caucasus Early Farmers (the progenitors of mtDNA Haplogroup J) moved into Europe, some of them moved East into present-day Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Does this explain my Finnish link? Need a better explanation.

Comment

British isles - a hint where to look for my unknown great(great)grandfathers?

I've always considered myself a German until I started with genealogy. Turns out that almost 2/3 of my mother's family are of Polish descent. And I can't speak Polish

My myOrigin results are:
                        94% European, split into
                        54% Eastern European
                        40% British Isles

6% Middle Eastern (who knew!) - it is 6% Asia Minor (Gedmatch splits it again, into 3% South Asian and 3% West Asian)

My father's paternal grandfather is unknown. He would have been staying at Lake Constance for some time around 1930.
                        My mom's father's maternal grandfather is also unknown, probably from the region of Gdansk, around 1919.
                        One of them could've been a British sailor, right? How else could one explain the high percentage of "British Isles"?
                        some 12.5% of my ancestors have Swabian ancestry and they are from parts of Germany where the Celts lived, but would that result in 40% British Isles?
                        I almost feared my mom had some 'splaining to do...but then I have a few matches on FTDNA that clearly belong on my father's side. *phew*

Comment

Rather diverse, but mainly European results

Here are my husband's myOrigin results:
                          Everyone considered him "German", his family is told to have been living in the same region for several hundred years...there is one illegitimate child in his direct family line, from then on these ancestors looked like Italians... Oh boy. But he looks rather like a Viking, blondish hair and a red beard

So, my husband still was rather astonished when he looked at this results:
                          98% European and 2% Middle Eastern (Asia Minor).

The European part is split into:
                          38% British Isles
                          28% Scandinavia (VIKINGS! YESSS!)
                          25% Southern European (Italians, I tell you!)
                          7% Eastern European

So, could the "British Isles"-part just stand for Celtic German heritage?
                          Plus, looking at his family tree, the Scandinavian influence might date back to ancestors several hundred years ago because we haven't found them yet. My husband's hometown is close to an area which was invaded by the Vikings as they went upstream the river Rhine. Maybe some of them just decided to stay there ;-)

Comment

My results

FTDNA My Origins:

– 49% Southern Europe
                            – 24% Western and Central Europe
                            – 23% British Isles
                            – 2% Scandinavia
                            – 2% Asia Minor

More recently, I got the following “Geno 2.0 Next Generation” results which seem more accurate than the “FTDNA” results since I have not any known British origin in my family:

– 53% Western and Central Europe
                            – 47% Southern Europe

Reference Populations in Geno 2.0 Next Generation database which are most similar to me in terms of the genetic markers I carry:

– My First Reference Population: Tuscan (Italy)
                            – My Second Reference Population: French

Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-Z160 (subclade of R1b - R-U106 - L47)
                            mtDNA Haplogroup: J1c5c1 (autochthonous of the Basque population)

I am Swiss (as are my father and mother)

Comment

A few kits I manage:
                              Ancestry of gtgtgt-grandparents:
                              Scottish - 13/32 with maybe a dash of Scandinavian/Orkney
                              English - 12/32
                              Irish - 4/32
                              Anglo-Irish - 2/32
                              Swiss/French - 1/32

My Origins:
                              70% British Isles
                              25% Western & Central Europe
                              5% Eastern Europe

Two others (siblings) - some genealogy brickwalls.
                              Have confirmed 4 gt-grandparents via DNA matches so 1/8 Scottish and 3/8 English. Remaining gt-grandparents emigrated from England but could be some Irish or something else.
                              My Origins:
                              60% British Isles
                              27% Scandinavia
                              7% Asia Minor
                              3% Eastern Europe
                              3% Southern Europe

63% British Isles
                              26% Scandinavia
                              9% Southern Europe
                              2% Asia Minor

Comment

Originally posted by SwabianGirl View Post
                                I've always considered myself a German until I started with genealogy. Turns out that almost 2/3 of my mother's family are of Polish descent. And I can't speak Polish

My myOrigin results are:
                                94% European, split into
                                54% Eastern European
                                40% British Isles

6% Middle Eastern (who knew!) - it is 6% Asia Minor (Gedmatch splits it again, into 3% South Asian and 3% West Asian)

My father's paternal grandfather is unknown. He would have been staying at Lake Constance for some time around 1930.
                                My mom's father's maternal grandfather is also unknown, probably from the region of Gdansk, around 1919.
                                One of them could've been a British sailor, right? How else could one explain the high percentage of "British Isles"?
                                some 12.5% of my ancestors have Swabian ancestry and they are from parts of Germany where the Celts lived, but would that result in 40% British Isles?
                                I almost feared my mom had some 'splaining to do...but then I have a few matches on FTDNA that clearly belong on my father's side. *phew*
                                German is notoriously hard to pick out and often gets confused with British & Irish (at least a bit).
                                The little bits of West and South Asian can be ancient excess farmer signal. If you look at how Geno 2.0 NG does the test they show you all sorts of reference examples so it's way easier to understand what is going on.

While that latter stuff could be recent, it's probably just some ancient excess that maybe some southern German ancestors had compared to the Western and Central European reference.

Comment

Working...
                                X