Possible 5th cousin match.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible 5th cousin match.

My brother has an Ftdna Family Finder match. It so happens to be a 5th cousin match as both parties have good trees back to this match. He does not show up as a FF match to me. So far it is the only person in those trees we can possibly match to. My brother and I have a brick wall at our 3grt grandfather. We believe that through intestate deeds we found that it is the 3 grt grandmother that is the family who we match too. I know this sounds far off, but our match and us both belong to Anc.com and have our trees there and I thought that you might be able to help direct us through this maze on how to make sure that is what the dna is proving. 49.00 shared cM's, 12 shared segments & no X match.
    Thanks for your help.

I'll try to answer this. 49.00 shared cM may indicate a match, but it may not. I have 100+ matches of at least 49 cM, and I am probably unrelated to most of them. However, if you have a paper trail showing a common 3rd gg mother, that's proof enough in my opinion. It is possible for your brother to match her and you may not. You could try to confirm it with other paper records, or you might get a parent, uncle, or aunt to test to see if they match at the same chromosome points. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Marjorie View Post
      My brother has an Ftdna Family Finder match. It so happens to be a 5th cousin match as both parties have good trees back to this match. He does not show up as a FF match to me. So far it is the only person in those trees we can possibly match to. My brother and I have a brick wall at our 3grt grandfather. We believe that through intestate deeds we found that it is the 3 grt grandmother that is the family who we match too. I know this sounds far off, but our match and us both belong to Anc.com and have our trees there and I thought that you might be able to help direct us through this maze on how to make sure that is what the dna is proving. 49.00 shared cM's, 12 shared segments & no X match.
      Thanks for your help.
      You need to get other relatives tested. If your parents or your matches parents are still living then they should also be tested to determine if the match shows up with one of them. You should also triangulate with other relatives and DNA matches. That is much easier done using the FTDNA chromosome browser and www.genomemate.org Even though it is easier with FTDNA chromosome browser you should also look for other matches at Gedmatch and by testing with 23andme and request sharing with the matches.

Comment

Parents on one side deceased, not sure of other side. Both surnames unusual names, not found in other ff matches ancestral names or trees so far. I still do not understand how you figure out which of the two's dna is showing up as a match, our 3rd grt-gr-mother or grt-gr-father?

I do have in another branch of our tree a mother at 4th cousin 1xR,(62.00cM's) and her son at 5th cousin(48.00cM's)match. They are both matches to me but only the mother matches my brothers dna. Both families trees bear this out. Also 2 - 3rd cousins 1xR(92.00cM's) and 1 - 3rd Cousin 1xR(96.00cM's). I find it pretty complicated and it appears a lot of matches will be lost if we don't look further at the small cM matches. Also participants need to at least put in as many family/ancestor names as they can, otherwise we will never find if we match.
        Last edited by Marjorie; 17th November 2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

@Marjorie

What is the Longest Block for each of the matches?

W.

P.S. Essentially, you can almost always quote both Total Shared and the Longest Block.

Comment

Originally posted by Marjorie View Post
            My brother has an Ftdna Family Finder match. It so happens to be a 5th cousin match as both parties have good trees back to this match. He does not show up as a FF match to me.
            [SNIP....] thought that you might be able to help direct us through this maze on how to make sure that is what the dna is proving. 49.00 shared cM's, 12 shared segments & no X match.
            Thanks for your help.
            You do need to help us with more data we need to know the
            longest segment. Actually it would help to quote the length of all segment longer than 5 cM
            Keep in mind that well over 90% of segments less than 5 cM will be random matches that will just waist your time.
            Any segment less than 15 cM is suspect of being just a random match if your longest segment is over 15 cM this is
            probably a real match

You also say the match to your brother does not match you.
            This could be do to two reasons , first it could be you did not happen to get that segment from your parents or second
            you got the segment with a different segment from the other parent and the match to your brother is just a random one.

With FTDNA chromosome browser this is difficult is not impossible to determine. With gedmatch.com you stand a chance since that browser will tell you if you and your brother have a full match or a half match on that segment

But it gets complicated in the logic and the tools needed
            On that segment there are 4 possible outcomes of a match
            between you and your brother.
            1. A full match on both strands
            2. A half match on your mother's strand
            3. A half match on your father's strand
            4. No match at all

If you have option 4 you do not know if the match is real on not.
            If you have 1 there may be some miscalls in one of your segments as this should not happen
            If you have 2 or 3 that would say the match may be real
            and you did not get that segment from your parents.
            You should try to use triangulation to determine if that is the case or not.

Comment

Longest segment is 25.45 cM's, 4696 SNP's, 12 shared segments at 49 cm's. As you say the rest are under 5cm. I do understand as siblings we receive different dna that the other will not. Even in our 3rd cousin matches there may be 1 or 2 longer strands and the rest below 5cM's, it is our gen. research and trees that prove it. I have tried using DNAgedcom.com but having some trouble as the upload from FTDNA they have missed some of the cousin matches. I will try gedmatch.com to see if that will be better. The 4 possible outcomes between my brother and I, have not looked into and does sound complicated, does gedmatch.com cover that?
              Thanks so much for all your help.

Comment

At 25 cM that is a good solid real match =Identical By Descent or IBD
                Of those other below 5 cM only a maximum of 10% will be IBD.
                The other 90% are random matches and a waist of our time.
                Using just you and your cousin match there is no way to say which if any are real
                Let me know your gedmatch IDs here, or by private message, and I will help with the analysis
                I will also need ether the match position Chr and start and stop or better would be the cousin's kit in gedmatch.

You got your DNA half from your mom and halg from your
                dad. And it is all a random shuffle. So did your brother.

Together you will have "captured" 75% of you parents DNA
                The other 25% is lost forever.
                Given you have a solid 25 cM match and your brother does not, that tells me he just did not get that segment from
                your common parent. What he got was the other strand that
                came from your other common grandparent.

Comment

Working...
                X