X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaccurate X-Chromosome Results?

I compared my Mom's X-chromosome versus two of my brothers' X results
    and got the following results:

1) Brother One - shared 185.60 cM on the X-chromosome with his mother.
    2) Brother Two - shared 194.58 cM on the X-chromosome with his mother.

Is there really a 10 cM difference between the old chip and the new one for the X-chromosome?

Or, is there a ton of miscalls that are occurring here?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

It has to do with newer chips recording opposite side of DNA strand. Normally it does not effect the matching algorithm, but on when there is a bunch of values close together on a chromosome the algorithm rejects it.

One chip records some values in forward orientation, another in reverse orientation. A for T and C for G.

I have mentioned this a few times, but have never gotten a clear answer if it is an issue they are going to resolve.

I have noticed these missed sections on a few chromosomes, one I posted about which has 43 SNPs in a row on chromosome 13
    http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=35387

In regards to X the section that misses has the following Build 36 positions with the forward/reverse orientation values. If you compare your raw data kits, you will see this. One will be G, the other C, and one will be T, the other A

Edit
    Attachment is my 3 sister to my Father. My Father tested on chip used between May 2012 and April 2013. Sisters test on chips used after.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by prairielad; 10 July 2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      It has to do with newer chips recording opposite side of DNA strand. Normally it does not effect the matching algorithm, but on when there is a bunch of values close together on a chromosome the algorithm rejects it.

One chip records some values in forward orientation, another in reverse orientation. A for T and C for G.

I have mentioned this a few times, but have never gotten a clear answer if it is an issue they are going to resolve.

I have noticed these missed sections on a few chromosomes, one I posted about which has 43 SNPs in a row on chromosome 13

In regards to X the section that misses has the following Build 36 positions with the forward/reverse orientation values. If you compare your raw data kits, you will see this. One will be G, the other C, and one will be T, the other A

Edit
      Attachment is my 3 sister to my Father. My Father tested on chip used between May 2012 and April 2013. Sisters test on chips used after.
      Looks like FTDNA might want to work on this issue. Our educational efforts have convinced people that a father must give all his daughters exact copies of his X chromosome (except at the very ends of the chromosome in the pseudo-autisomal regions). Many people are depending on this matching algorithm to show evidence for paternity. Mothers are expected to match their sons along the entire length of the X as well. Hopefully those who don't have exact copies will be patient as FTDNA fixes the matching algorithm.

Comment

I was just questioning this same thing on an autosomal discussion group on facebook. I first tested in 2006 with the National Genographic Project, then ordered a FF test in Dec. 2012 that was processed in the early part of 2013. My mom was tested in mid 2013 and two more sisters between then and June 2014. While both sisters match our mother entirely on the X, I have several small gaps. Is this due to different chips? Comparing with our mother, there are additional small gaps on some chromosomes, 3 of which affect each sister alone, and 3 of which affect me with one of my sisters in the exact same location, two with one sister, one with the other sister. Can anyone explain?
        Last edited by ShellyH; 18 July 2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShellyH View Post
          I was just questioning this same thing on an autosomal discussion group on facebook. I first tested in 2006 with the National Genographic Project, then ordered a FF test in Dec. 2012 that was processed in the early part of 2013. My mom was tested in mid 2013 and two more sisters between then and June 2014. While both sisters match our mother entirely on the X, I have several small gaps. Is this due to different chips? Comparing with our mother, there are additional small gaps on some chromosomes, 3 of which affect each sister alone, and 3 of which affect me with one of my sisters in the exact same location, two with one sister, one with the other sister. Can anyone explain?
          First if you are talking about a comparison of parent-to-child only there will be gaps for a variety of reasons. One reason is that there are some SNP poor regions where there is not enough information but that usually causes a gray zone.

Another reason would be that actual gaps are occurring because the chips are different as Prairielad has explained. See the image below where the double helix is visualized. A and T always pair. C and G always pair. A SNP change (polymorphism) will be different so don't confuse a mutation with what I am saying. If a section is read on the wrong strand in the same place, the sequence will be different. Each chromosome has a double helix. You want to always read the green strand or always read the red strand but don't use different strands in different software versions and expect the comparisons to be equivalent. These won't be the same.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-...le:Dna-SNP.svg

I have seen some corrections made by FTDNA between parent and child lately but I don't know if this is being done for everyone. Best to ask the Help Desk. I am still seeing tiny gaps where there should be solid matching. Mutations can cause gaps but this should be rare. As I understand it, a one point mutation usually doesn't show up as a mismatch if all the surrounding SNPs are the same. Some companies may smooth out the results more than others.

Now if you are comparing sibs with each other, then don't expect exact full matching with some exceptions.

Full sisters are expected to match the father entirely on the X and they will match each other (with the exception of a few insignificant SNPs) on the entire X coming from their father. Right now I would not worry about a few small gaps.

Full matching doesn't usually occur when sisters look at the X segments they got from their mother. In a sister-to-sister comparison, there should also be some half-matching regions where they match the father but not the mother. You won't see the full matching segment cutoff points at FTDNA but if you upload to GEDmatch or David Pike's tool you will see fully identical regions. There you will be able to see the crossover points (start and end points) for the segments coming from the mother on the X. Half matching versus full matching is hidden in the FTDNA browser.

Brothers are not expected to match along any entire chromosome with a sibling but it can happen. They usually match their parents entirely on the autosomes with the exception of the gray zones. The X chromosome is where we probably see the most holes or gaps in them because males only have one X and so a mismatch with their mom is more obvious and creates confusion. Again, if you are seeing a few tiny gaps, I would not worry about it but I think FTDNA will have to correct some of these holes.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.

I think I read somewhere that the raw data is now Build 37 but the chromosome browser display is still based on Build 36.

Still, a 10 cM gap is pretty big.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, Kathy. Much of it I understood, but I'll read through it again to be sure I am understanding it fully.

In this case to which I referred, my mother was the main kit and I was running the comparison of her three daughters to her, all at once in the chromosome browser to that I could see it all in one place. I wasn't comparing the sisters to one another in this instance except for how we compare to our mother.

My X looks worse until the cM is lowered to 1+, but even then there is a gap. Comparing myself to my mother, my X is in 6 segments: 77.45, a decent sized gap, then 56.1, 3.85, 32.99, and 13.08. My sisters (T & L below) are solid and include data in the segment where I (S below) have the gap.

Chromosome 2 - S & T have two (same) segments, L is solid.

Chromosome 5 - T & L have two (different) segments, S is solid.

Chromosome 7 - S has two segments, T & L are solid.

Chromosome 8 - S & T have two (same) segments, L is solid.

Chromosome 11 - S & L have two (same) segments, T is solid.

So, each of us has gaps to our mom, but I (S) just got more of them.

Mom was in batch 529
              S was in batch 497
              T was in batch 538
              L was in batch 568

Do you think this suggests a need to check with the Help Desk, or is this actually pretty common?
              Last edited by ShellyH; 19 July 2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Johnston View Post

I have seen some corrections made by FTDNA between parent and child lately but I don't know if this is being done for everyone. Best to ask the Help Desk. I am still seeing tiny gaps where there should be solid matching. Mutations can cause gaps but this should be rare. As I understand it, a one point mutation usually doesn't show up as a mismatch if all the surrounding SNPs are the same. Some companies may smooth out the results more than others.

I concur that most gaps between parent/child have seemed to be corrected on most of the chromosomes which was due to the way different chip versions recorded the reverse/forward orientation values.

If I compare my kits to father now, it only shows the larger gaps on the X chromosome.
                EDIT And the end of chromosome 13

Thank you for the explanation, Kathy. Much of it I understood, but I'll read through it again to be sure I am understanding it fully.

In this case to which I referred, my mother was the main kit and I was running the comparison of her three daughters to her, all at once in the chromosome browser to that I could see it all in one place. I wasn't comparing the sisters to one another in this instance except for how we compare to our mother.

My X looks worse until the cM is lowered to 1+, but even then there is a gap. Comparing myself to my mother, my X is in 6 segments: 77.45, a decent sized gap, then 56.1, 3.85, 32.99, and 13.08. My sisters (T & L below) are solid and include data in the segment where I (S below) have the gap.

Mom was in batch 529
                S was in batch 497
                T was in batch 538
                L was in batch 568

Do you think this suggests a need to check with the Help Desk, or is this actually pretty common?

The other thing to note is the number of no calls listed in a segment of non matching, this to will cause a gap if there is a higher number in this section (total number of no-calls between both kits being compared in respect to gap in parent/child comparison)
                Last edited by prairielad; 19 July 2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Mom was in batch 529
                  S was in batch 497
                  T was in batch 538
                  L was in batch 568

I would be interested in hearing what the Help Desk has to say about this since it is a common problem but it should be fixable.

Comment

Thanks again, everyone. I'll report back when I contact them. Hopefully whatever I find will be helpful for others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post

Edit
                      I was so thankful FTDNA was able to find a vial of my deceased father's DNA and do Family Finder recently. He died in 2005 and we originally were told there was not enough DNA. I can use my brother's vial for Y DNA SNPs and STRs but I sure wanted to save something of an autosomal test from my Dad. I feel very blessed.

I see where my father and I don't match in the region above on the X because of the problem you mention, Prairielad. One still has to change all Cs to Gs and vice versa and change all Ts to As and vice versa for those particular markers in order to get a full match along the majority of the X chromosome. The software is still reading opposite strands in the double helix in some areas.

Comment

Working...
                      X