DNA file format change affects GEDmatch results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA file format change affects GEDmatch results

The format of FTDNA files recently changed. No-Calls were previously represented as "--", but are now shown as "00". The GEDmatch upload software was not properly interpreting the new code for no-calls, and was instead inserting a hard break which caused a mis-match at every location where a no-call was located. The GEDmatch software problem has been corrected. Anybody experiencing problems with this should delete their kit from GEDmatch and upload it again.

John

Originally posted by JOlson View Post
    The format of FTDNA files recently changed. No-Calls were previously represented as "--", but are now shown as "00". The GEDmatch upload software was not properly interpreting the new code for no-calls, and was instead inserting a hard break which caused a mis-match at every location where a no-call was located. The GEDmatch software problem has been corrected. Anybody experiencing problems with this should delete their kit from GEDmatch and upload it again.

John
    John
    For the average user, what would that look like?

Comment

I've been able to do some more analysis on this problem. It seems to affect a relatively small percentage of uploads, but goes back several months. A disproportionate number of the affected kits seem to be conversions (mostly Ancestry.com), but I can't really say for sure.

The effect on results is that it causes a significant reduction in the number of matching segments. Some kits are showing no matches at all.

I have been able to identify the affected kits, and am working on resolving the problem on our end. Therefore, you do not need to re-upload your data to GEDmatch.

If your kit is one of those affected, you will see it revert back to a "tokenized" status while it is being reprocessed.

John

Comment

Working...
      X