X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 first cousins twice removed = 4TH COUSIN
    first cousins twice removed = 3RD COUSIN

Originally posted by loobster View Post
    No objection to the term -- have been wondering what the correct term was for descendents of half-siblings.

A Census lists someone as "step-brother" of one of my great-grandparents. I am suspecting he may be half-brother -- and some of his children are still alive -- if full siblings, his children would be my first cousins twice removed -- so if 1/2 siblings, do I say 1/2 first cousins twice removed?

Anyone have any idea what relationship 1/2 first cousins twice removed should show as?? How much DNA likely shared? What "Relationship Range" they would likely be in?

And what about 1/2 first cousins once removed? (an appropriate Aunt of mine also tested) I know I saw FAQ saying there is better than (or approximately?) 99% chance that 2nd cousins will show as second cousins -- would 1/2 first cousins once removed have about the same amount of shared DNA as second cousins, with the same likelihood of it showing up, and same Relationship Range? Or ??

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
      1/2 first cousins twice removed = 4TH COUSIN
      first cousins twice removed = 3RD COUSIN
      No.

A first cousin 2x removed is similar (if not identical) to a second cousin.

A half first cousin (i.e., sharing 1 grandparent, not 2 grandparents) 2x removed is similar to a half second cousin.

Comment

I have now had some success in determining new family surnames. This is not with the adoptee I originally mentioned.

In both situations I found others who overlapped at a particular Chromosome, and I was able to determine a common surname in both situations.

With one circumstance, I was able to take a family line back from 1820 to 1620 and add new known surnames to my ancestry.

One other situation gave me the surname of a GGG Grandmother, and took her line back from 1820 to the early 1700s.

Comment

Oops, forgot about one other find thanks to overlapping Chromosome with others. I have an ancestor of Christena Carnes, born in Kentucky about 1807. I didn't know her parentage. Those I compared with showed Carnes/Kerns/Kern as ancestor's back to Bedford County, Virginia. Low and behold, Christena's father I've found as Abraham Kerns, who works back to Beford, Virginia, with more about his ancestry.

Comment

what means exctly the same segment ?

Hello I would like to know if somebody knows about to share
            exactly the same segment with many people as this jpg attached file . is that mean something special ?

Thanks a lot

Willy
            Attached Files

Comment

ok nobody knows about my question

bye

Comment

Originally posted by willy View Post
                Hello I would like to know if somebody knows about to share
                exactly the same segment with many people as this jpg attached file . is that mean something special ?

Thanks a lot

Willy
                This kind of list is fairly common. I think with those short lengths it means a common origin quite a while back. I have figured one of these out and the common ancestor was born in 1700s and had children who settled both the US and Canada. Somehow, even today, many of us have that 8 cM trade mark. My luck in this case was a surname that was shared by three of the list. Two have figured out exactly how they descend, I am closing the gap (and the common ancestor its a family story and family first name), and others are anywhere from puzzled to having working theories.

Comment

Working...
                X