Palaeo-Eskimo 2000 BC DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOlson View Post
    23andMe V3 DNA files are more accurate with the GEDmatch eye color predictor, because they contain more of the SNPs used in the prediction algorithm. FTDNA and Ancestry.Com DNA results produce less accurate results for the GEDmatch prediction algorithm.

Brown eyes have been surprisingly hard for me to predict accurately. The reason is that there are many SNPs that can produce brown eyes. I have not discovered all of them, and many more simply aren't tested by either company. When the prediction algorithm does not detect these "brown" SNPs, it often falls back on a lighter color that would in reality be hidden by the darker brown.

While it is intriguing to imagine what Neanderthal, Denisovian or even Palaeo-Eskimo eyes might have looked like, their eye color would have almost certainly been determined by a different set of SNPs than modern humans.
    Thank you John for explaining.

Comment

MDLP WORLD 22 Paleo Eskimo - Eskimo Comparison

Comment

I just accidentally discovered a small bug in the parsing program. I will fix it ASAP and update this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Bug Fixed

I fixed the bug in the parsing program and reprocessed all. But this time, I also included FTDNA+23andMe SNPs in GEDMatch. The removed the old kit and uploaded it as F999906.

The raw files are downloadable at http://www.y-str.org/tools/palaeo-eskimo-2000-bc-dna/

I did a quick admixture for globe13 using DIY Dodecad tool.

This solves the mystery of the African composition (because of a bug in program). Let me know if there are still any mistakes - To Err is Human.
          Attached Files

Comment

Questions

One question that came to mind after reading this thread: Is it common to find hair (especially human hair) in ice core samples? And second, can hair be transported across continents by weather?

I am also wondering about the term "Eskimo." Could researchers be using that word as an overall blanket term for Arctic peoples of North America? I was under the impression that West Greenlanders, especially, were actually Aleut in origin. Am I getting my facts wrong? Why did the original Danish researchers refer to the sample as coming from a Paleo-Eskimo?

Comment

So, i updated MDLP World22 results.

Comment

His parents seems to be first/second cousins.

Comment

There are 38 matches in GEDMatch. 1 is autosomal match and the remaining 37 are X-DNA matches.

Nearly 33 of them match one of these below region in X-DNA.
                  • 34856007 - 37926955
                  • 109313605 - 111802493
                  • 18297277 - 20456331
                  • 46186303 - 48203366

I believe the autosomal is IBS but not the X-DNA because the matches are not random but specifically grouped into one region.

If true, then X-DNA can go well beyond 4000 years.
                  Last edited by felix; 2nd March 2014, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                    There are 38 matches in GEDMatch. 1 is autosomal match and the remaining 37 are X-DNA matches.

Nearly 33 of them match one of these below region in X-DNA.
                    • 34856007 - 37926955
                    • 109313605 - 111802493
                    • 18297277 - 20456331
                    • 46186303 - 48203366

I believe the autosomal is IBS but not the X-DNA because the matches are not random but specifically grouped into one region.

If true, then X-DNA can go well beyond 4000 years.
                    Interesting observation. I think that the X chromosome is the next wave in DNA genealogy that will be a key ingriedient connecting the DNA trees with the paper trails. In combination with autosomal, Y and mtDNA the X may take you a few generations further back in time. It is not as thin as Y and not as wide as autosomal. It would be nice if researchers could find out if the recombination follows set patterns, instead of random, and learn those patterns, if there is any.

Comment

Working...
                    X