No announcement yet.

V4 chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the correction Matt. Sounds like FTDNA is doing this right.

Comment

Originally posted by ech124 View Post
      Looks like FTDNA is now changing chips.

http://www.genomeweb.com/arrays/citi...ple-illumina-c
      Hi All,

No need to panic... Family Tree DNA has shifted from an OmniExpress 12 sample chip to the new OmniExpress 24 sample chip. This was pretty automatic as the supply from Illumina changed. Dr. Mittelman says that there are about 3,000 SNPs different between the two OmniExpress versions, or about 0.3% of the SNPs on the chip.

For the truly exacting, I will try to obtain a list of the exact SNPs.

Comment

Does this mean that Family Tree DNA will have to re-run the database, with the potential for dropped & added matches, as well as centimorgan changes?

Timothy Peterman

Comment

The loss of 3000 SNPs is unfortunate but isn't terribly important and I can't imagine it will require the database to be rerun again. I also can't see why you would lose matches. The new chips will have less information and therefore, if anything, there will be a slight uptick of false matches.

The trouble with what 23andMe is doing is that they have a much larger change and there will be a much larger uptick in false matches. That's my 2 cents.

Comment

My only concern is that I download data & store it in excel spreadsheets. I manage over 40 kits for carefully selected relatives. If this information changes, I will download all over again. If I am confident that what we have today is a temporary configuration, I will stop downloading until all of this gets stabilized.

I like to compare apples to apples.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
              Hmm, I suspect it will depend on the amount of overlap between the FTDNA data and the 23andMe V4 data. The smaller the overlap the less likely it's going to work well enough to be worth doing.
              According to Felix :

There are only 312257 overlap SNPs between FTDNA and 23andme V4. Not enough for comparison in FTDNA.

Comment

Working...
              X