No announcement yet.

Changes to FF match page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure you clear anything you may have entered in the name of match and surname search boxes before you triangulate. I left a name in the surname search box and got no matches in common, but when I deleted the name, triangulate worked. So it's an "And" search. It thinks you want "in common with" and has the surname "Doe".

Comment

That triangulate symbol is extremely tiny.

If you search for a surname, and then choose triangulate for someone in the search results list, the ICW list seems to be limited to just the people who were in the search results list. If you simply page through the complete list to locate your person, the triangulate feature returns what appears to be a correct list.

I hope they fix this soon as it is time-consuming to page through 58 pages of matches looking for someone.

Comment

"If you click on the space after Name: or Ancestral Name: does that bring up the Search box you're looking for?"

Thanks Ann!!

Comment

What the heck happened to the match page?

There was nothing wrong with the old page so why the change?

I definitely don't like these change they need to be change back to the more user friendly page.

Comment

Originally posted by graycan View Post
            If you search for a surname, and then choose triangulate for someone in the search results list, the ICW list seems to be limited to just the people who were in the search results list. If you simply page through the complete list to locate your person, the triangulate feature returns what appears to be a correct list.
            Good catch. When you filter to find someone and then try to triangulate with that person, the filter appears to be getting applied to the triangulate results too. That's definitely an issue. I have reported this, but you may want to report it via the Feedback form as well.

Elise

Comment

Love the new ability to triangulate without having to assign a relationship.

I also like being able to see both the y- and mtDNA haplogroups at a glance (on the far right side of the "triangulate bar" underneath surnames), but I'm noticing that the yDNA haplogroup is being given as N/A there for many people, even though they've yDNA-tested and their haplogroup displays properly if you click on their names. Perhaps these people have not specified whether they are male or female and the program is getting tripped up by this?

Also glad to see that chromosome browser now opens in a new window, making it easier to toggle back and forth between matches in common and the browser.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                Correct! As stated above, In Common With is now Triangulate, and known relationships no longer need to be assigned to use this feature. So now we can stop sending out (and receiving) all those Distant Cousin requests

Elise
                Yeah that would be great but from what I can see you can still edit the relationship. And it has a section where you can view your confirmed relationships, and a section that has relationships pending. So if you don't need it, why do they bother to have that?

Edit for Katydid- yes I noticed that too with some of the haplogroups. Looks like they haven't worked everything out there.

Comment

FF new screen

I don't have any search boxes showing on my screen. When I select matches all I get is the two matches that are my close to immediate. There is not place to enter any search criteria on my screen. The display is a mess. I don't see a triangulate box anywhere. I sure hope FF contacts me soon. I tried to refresh my screen and that did nothing.

I guess this may seem like a very stupid statement, but I really have no idea what browser I am using. I have xfinity and my home page is MSN. I get into FF from my favorites. I initially used Google to tag the FF site as a favorite. When the login screen comes up, I login and continue from there.

Comment

MoberlyDrake -- you are right! Clearing the name in the surname box before triangulating resulted in the correct list. I wish I didn't have to do that, but now I know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sspeters41 View Post
                      I don't have any search boxes showing on my screen. When I select matches all I get is the two matches that are my close to immediate. There is not place to enter any search criteria on my screen. The display is a mess. I don't see a triangulate box anywhere. I sure hope FF contacts me soon. I tried to refresh my screen and that did nothing.

I guess this may seem like a very stupid statement, but I really have no idea what browser I am using. I have xfinity and my home page is MSN. I get into FF from my favorites. I initially used Google to tag the FF site as a favorite. When the login screen comes up, I login and continue from there.
                      Try clicking on the upper left side in blue it will say Close and Immediate next to Relations: Click on that and it should give you the scroll to get to Show All Matches

Comment

Originally posted by sspeters41 View Post
                        I don't have any search boxes showing on my screen. When I select matches all I get is the two matches that are my close to immediate. There is not place to enter any search criteria on my screen.
                        Click the attachment below -- it's a screen shot of the filter bar on the new FF Matches page. You don't see this bar at the top of your page?

Elise
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                          Correct! As stated above, In Common With is now Triangulate, and known relationships no longer need to be assigned to use this feature. So now we can stop sending out (and receiving) all those Distant Cousin requests

Elise
                          Thank goodness for that!

What I was doing is assigning EVERYONE on my list, in spite of the fact that 95% of the time, I had no clue how I was related to them. I assigned people anyways ONLY to use the in common feature. I sort of felt I was being dishonest in a way assigning people who I don't know the relation.

Most people were good about it and didn't unassign me. Although I had one lady who is a 2nd to 4th cousin unassign me 3 times.

At least those days are over. A well overdue improvement!

Comment

Originally posted by Táltos View Post
                            Yeah that would be great but from what I can see you can still edit the relationship. And it has a section where you can view your confirmed relationships, and a section that has relationships pending. So if you don't need it, why do they bother to have that?
                            Yes, the Known Relationships feature is still there. While not needed for In Common With (Triangulate) now, it can still be used to filter your match list by people who you've confirmed as a known relative.

Why confirm someone still? Well, maybe you spent weeks or months researching one of your matches only to *finally* find the actual relationship. Rather than annotate that in notes and/or chance forgetting that you identified the relationship and end up wasting time re-researching the person, you can just assign the confirmed relationship. Perhaps there will be other uses in the future.

Elise

Comment

new family finder

This is what my screen looks like:

Relations: (then it is blank) it does not display Close to immediate
                              Sort By: (then it is blank) it does not display Sort Date

My new screen is NOT displaying what most of you seem to be seeing.

Thanks.

Comment

Gracious -- they have already made the triangulate button bigger (but only if you sort by longest block) and fixed the match file download. Somebody is paying attention!

I'm very pleased to see that the contents of the notes field was included in the match list download file.
                                Last edited by graycan; 2 October 2013, 02:06 PM. Reason: corrected information

Comment

Working...
                                X