No New Matches Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No New Matches Lately

Has FTDNA ever really managed to get their problems fixed???

No new matches in a long time for most of the kits I manage. When are we going to start getting new matches again?

If you read the Batches forum, some people have been waiting months to get the results of their Family Finder tests - one person has been waiting 6 months!

What in the world is going on!!!

I was just thinking that myself. Excepting 4 total on 16 Apr, last update was ~30 for each of my kits on 2 Apr.

Comment

My brother's 23andMe data transfer came online at FT-DNA on February 23, 2013.

Last unknown Family Finder match before that, August 31, 2012.

I have had no new Family Finder matches since February 23, 2013.

I have had only 12-marker Y-DNA matches since August 13, 2012.

My FMS has resulted in a single mtDNA match (at the HVR1 level). It is dated September 7, 2012.

When I consider that I have more than 900 matches at 23andMe and that AncestryDNA matches are stacking up like cord wood, FT-DNA Family Finder, Y-DNA, and mtDNA tests are not looking good.

Comment

To me, the future doesn't look good for this company. Apparently they aren't able to attract any customers at all. It's hardly surprising, given their record, but I've purchased most of my kits here, and I can't afford to test everyone elsewhere and most of them wouldn't be willing to do another test. Besides, I like the tools here, and I really appreciate all the help I get on this forum!!!

Not many tools and zero help at Ancestry, but well over 1000 matches there compared with 143 here.

Not many people respond to my contact invitations at 23And me, but 670 matches there compared to 96 here.

FTDNA upgraded their lab last year, if I remember correctly, and they recently hired more people (or maybe they didn't if no one applied!) So, what's going on?

Comment

No new matches since April 2 for the three kits I manage (as far as Family Finder goes). Y and mitochondrial matches continue to come in though.

My father and I continue to get quite a few matches on 23 and Me. We especially seem to get more French-Canadian matches there than on either this site or ancestry. I also noticed that 23 and Me seems to be picking up more matches who are literally closer to me (in adjoining counties, I mean).

Since branching out into 23 and Me and ancestry, I've also noticed tha quite few people have detailed trees on ancestry -- and they will often point that out to me. The DNA part of ancestry might not be that strong yet, but researchers still appear to feel more comfortable with the paper research they have uncovered so far on ancestry -- and are more willing to share that research with others.

Comment

Wow...After reading the above I am thinking of trying elsewhere. I have been at zero matches for mtDNA and zero for Y-DNA since the start...and FF shows nothing closer than a couple of possible 4th cousins and pages of possible distant cousins. I had accepted that his was just the way it was...wait and hope. I have not looked at 123 nor Ancestry yet...is there a way to simply transfer FT data to them? I would hate to have to retest and go through all the waiting again.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
              Apparently they aren't able to attract any customers at all.
              How do you know that?

Assuming that FTDNA increments their kit-counter in steps of 1 they have during the calendar weeks 7 through 16 sold around 14000 kits - that comes out to 200 kits per day.

That seems like a lot of kits to me.

I've purchased most of my kits here, and I can't afford to test everyone elsewhere and most of them wouldn't be willing to do another test. Besides, I like the tools here
              With the excellent third party testing offered at gedmatch, you do not need to re-test anyone. Instead you should upload all your raw data to gedmatch (and also consider a donation).

Also, the available third part tools are very good - and more importantly, they are developing at a faster rate that what FTDNA can manage.

I really appreciate all the help I get on this forum!!!
              In spite of all their foul-ups FTDNA deserves some credit for providing this forum. But even if the forum itself is shut down, the people behind all the useful postings would still exist. They would just gravitate towards another place on the Internet. (I just hope it will not be facebook).

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
                How do you know that?

Assuming that FTDNA increments their kit-counter in steps of 1 they have during the calendar weeks 7 through 16 sold around 14000 kits - that comes out to 200 kits per day.

That seems like a lot of kits to me.
                And to me! Using the same assumptions, 54000 kits were sold between March 2011 and Sept 2012. That's 18 months, or about 100/day. Has the uptick really be that large?

Comment

And dont forget. Some have many tests to one kit number.

i have on average 2 to each kit number.

Comment

I'd guess the geno tests are getting assigned kit numbers. I really can't conceive how FTDNA could have seen a significant uptick in sales recently otherwise given all the problems. That doesn't mean I'm right of course.

I seldom bother checking for FF matches any more since the three kits I manage almost never get any over the past six months or so. Oddly FTDNA still thinks it makes sense to send me emails about HVR1 matches but doesn't bother to send emails about FF matches. This makes no sense given how much closer a distant cousin match is than an HVR1 is likely to be.

Comment

Does FTDNA have the cheapest Y-DNA tests?

Comment

How many matches per month on FF should you expect on average?

I've had none since I joined up about 4 months ago when I got 19 pages of matches.

MtDNA fairly regular matches.

Do more people register for MtDNA test?

Comment

Originally posted by Paperblank View Post
                          How many matches per month on FF should you expect on average?

I've had none since I joined up about 4 months ago when I got 19 pages of matches.

MtDNA fairly regular matches.

Do more people register for MtDNA test?
                          It all depends on your ancestry, and how many cousins out there have tested. You're more likely to find cousins if they live in the US (in particular) or to a lesser extent, Europe, simply because most of the tests are being done here.

I would have expected SOME additional hits in four months if you started with ~190 hits, but not more than a couple a month.

Comment

paperblank- It depends. Here is what I got thru 14 Apr (2013 was a slow patch, as my matches were disappeared for a while while the upgrade was going on). Generally I only got match(es) once a month, though sometimes twice in one month. In my calculation, I didn't show the trickle of matches that happened in 2012...

18 Dec 2011 - 18 matches
                            1 Jan 2013 - 45 matches
                            Late Feb 2013 - 30 matches
                            Early Mar 2013 - 0 matches
                            Early Apr 2013 - 31 matches
                            14 Apr 2013 - 51 matches

Comment

Interesting. Thanks. Is 19 pages/190 suggestive of ancestry in US? Few matches? Average amount or more?

I am struck by 53 matches in April to my zero!

I have a large error rating on my Population Finder result and Finnish, Tuscan, Spanish, Sardinian & Romanian ancestry. Also Orcadian & W Europe.

Comment

Working...
                              X