Frequency of new matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency of new matches?

I realize that it all depends on how often your relatives (near or far) go in for DNA testing, but I'm curious how often those of you who are not of Ashkenazi descent get new matches (or if you're part Ashkenazi, how often you get the non-Ashkenazi matches).

It would seem to me that there'd be a chance of new matches every time a batch finishes, but it also seems as though individual kits in a batch finish at wildly different times, so...

My experience is that the kit got 5 pages of matches in March, then when problems with Build 37 were rectified or mostly rectified, there were 9 pages. Nothing else has popped up on Family Finder, and only two are projected to be as close as 3rd cousins.

Just curious how this compares to other people's experience.

non-ashkenazi colonial ancestry (number of matches, not pages)
    4/2/2013: 6**
    3/14/2013: 5
    2/23/2013: 1 (this person appears to be a duplicate of an another match)
    2/22/2013: 10
    12/16/2012: 2
    12/4/2012: 4
    11/21/2012: 1
    11/2/2012: 8
    10/23/2012: 11
    9/30/2012: 5
    8/31/2012: 7
    8/10/2012: 7
    7/19/2012: 11
    7/6/2012: 4
    Jan - Jun 2012: 83
    Jan - Dec 2011: 60
    Jan - Dec 2010: 48

** 10 disappeared between 3/28/2013 and 4/2/2013 - these are not included in any counts

In 2013 I've had over 600 new matches at ancestry and over 120 at 23andme (23andme is a rough estimate because I've only had a net increase of 12 because new matches force deletes of older matches)

Comment

Originally posted by khuebner View Post
      I realize that it all depends on how often your relatives (near or far) go in for DNA testing, but I'm curious how often those of you who are not of Ashkenazi descent get new matches (or if you're part Ashkenazi, how often you get the non-Ashkenazi matches).

It would seem to me that there'd be a chance of new matches every time a batch finishes, but it also seems as though individual kits in a batch finish at wildly different times, so...

My experience is that the kit got 5 pages of matches in March, then when problems with Build 37 were rectified or mostly rectified, there were 9 pages. Nothing else has popped up on Family Finder, and only two are projected to be as close as 3rd cousins.

Just curious how this compares to other people's experience.
      How often? Offhand, for the three accounts I managed: About once or twice a month. How many? My mother tends to get the most matches, largely of New England and southern colonial descendants (I would say, usually under 10 each time).

If a large number of European residents have tested (or transferred) all three accounts will gain matches (especially from Finland or Scandinavia).

My father gets many more matches on 23 and Me, and I have noticed the rise in French/French-Canadian matches are especially noticeable for both my father and me.

Comment

(Company, days since my 1st results, result frequency)

18 Dec 2011 - 18 matches
        1 Jan 2013 - 45 matches
        Late Feb 2013 - 30 matches
        Early Mar 2013 - 0 matches
        Early Apr 2013 - 31 matches
        14 Apr 2013 - 51 matches

24 Feb 2012 - 304 matches
        1 Jan 2013 - 440 matches
        24 Mar 2013 - 530 matches
        14 Apr 2013 - 545 matches

29 Jul 2012 - 275 matches
        1 Jan 2013 - 824 matches
        24 Mar 2013 - 1068 matches
        14 Apr 2013 - 1133 matches

Comment

Family Finder & mtDNA matches

Wow! I was wondering what the differences are between FTDNA results and the other two (23andme and Ancestry.com). I know 23and me gives some health information, but I am not familiar with what Ancestry.com offers that differs from the other two.

I have no zero-step matches here in mtDNA, one at Step 1, and the rest at 3 or 4 steps. I have 18 mtDNA matches here altogether with 11 received in November, 1in January, 4 in March, and 2 so far in April.

My Family Finder matches total 249 with 166 showing on July 19 of 2012, 17 in August, 5 in September, 11 in October, 15 in November, 4 in December, 1 in January, 20 in February, 6 in March, and 4 in April so far. My Family Finder matches indicate 18 matches at the 2nd to 4th cousin level. 91 matches at the 3rd to 5th cousin level, and 140 matches at 4th or 5th to remote cousin level.

Comment

Too many Ashkenazi

In answer to how often I get non-Ashkenazi matches: rarely.
            I have Jewish paternity and Irish/Scots/Welsh(?) maternal. The Ashkenazi matches completely smother the non-Ashenazi. I have over 1000 total matches, 140 under Distant (3rd to 5th cousin) and 3-5 of them are non-Ashkenazi. Out of the 1000 total, maybe 20 that are British Isles, non-Ashkenazi. Anymore my method is to check ICW on new matches to see if they match any Jews or non-Jews & go from there since so many matches don't bother with gedcoms or surnames.
            The one definitive paper trail I've made is through my maternal side, though, back to a 6th grandparent surnamed WILLEY in New Hampshire. And I have a maternal match with GLAVIN surname, but no common ancestor.

Comment

It's an interesting question, because everyone always wants more and higher quality matches. But I'm not that sure that the timing of matches, in and of itself, means much.

I'm shocked at anyone who gets matches at regular intervals. I can go four solid months without a match of any description. But then all of the sudden I got these two predicted 3rd cousins showed up in the same month. Also got a 2nd cousin 1R confirmed within 2 months of that, against all odds.

All in all, for a cumulative total of less than 90 matches, I think 3 predicted 2nd-3rd cousins seems not bad--although, frankly, I think the "predicted 3rds" might actually be something like 6th or 7th.

It seems to me that the more important thing is to have close matches with overlapping segments and/or in common matches, with full pedigrees to really improve your chances. Not just a large number of matches appearing at regular intervals.

And all of that's out of your control. Completely dependent on the number of descendants a given line had, how willing they are to test, when they decide to test and how hard the testers are willing to work towards finding the MRCA. Almost pure luck when you get down to it.

Comment

I manage three kits (mine, my husband's, my maternal first cousin's). Looking at additional matches since December, not counting the seesaw of old matches being restored, the matches have not been frequent.

I have some Ashkenazi ancestry but my matches dribble in:
                4/2 - 3 more
                3/14 - 4 more
                2/22 - 8 more
                12/16 - 1 more
                12/4 - 4 more

My husband has Canary Island, northern Spain ancestry with hardly any matches, new or otherwise:
                2/22 - 2 more
                12/4 - 1 more

My cousin and I share Italian/Lithuanian ancestry and we have very few overlapping matches. He gets new matches even less often than I do:
                4/2 - 3 more
                3/14 - 3 more
                2/22 - 8 more
                12/16 - 2 more

Comment

Interesting to see how everyone's results vary. Due to all the glitches early in the year, I don't know whether all 88 matches should have shown as soon as FF was complete, or if some of them are really a little later.

Anything useful that turns up is welcome, of course, but like many people I do have a specific brick wall in mind on my mother's tree. She has two, but one is a higher priority because the other may well be impossible to untangle with DNA (he's a Norwegian who may have been related to his wife). I was hoping that as the bigger brick wall is the only person whose family was probably in the US before 1870, I might get some matches with his surname. Alas, none of the matches thus far mention that surname, and most of the matches look like they connect on the Norwegian side.

I'm glad not to be utterly bereft of any sort of matches, but I'm looking forward to seeing something come in that really does something. In the meantime I'm waiting for 23andMe to do autosomal on me so that I can widen the pool a bit. And of course for Gedmatch to go back online so that I can check for matches there. It went down soon after I uploaded.

Comment

Working...
                  X