• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod
    replied
    Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
    What is GAP?
    It's the page for project administrators.

Leave a comment:

• sjadelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
    What is GAP?
    A clothing store chain.

I believe it's that "My FTDNA" page that often has update messages at the top.

Leave a comment:

• Kasandra
    replied
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
    FTDNA should be posting an update today or tomorrow on GAP.

Matt.
    What is GAP?

Leave a comment:

• Kasandra
    replied
    In what way is 23andMe not functional? I just logged in, invited a dozen folks to share, answered some email and posted on the board. Or are you on the beta interface?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    And 23&Me site is now non-functional as well.

Leave a comment:

• NYMark
    replied
    Yes, you probably should be getting the notification. The system is not perfect (although it's far better than ancestry.com.) I've never gotten a clear understanding of why I'm designated AJ (correctly) when my half-brother is not. It would be interesting to know how often it's missed and what percentage is considered the threshold.

Interesting also that I have nearly double your number of matches, all but a dozen or so are AJ. My brother has about half again as many as I do.

The site seems to be having some issues this morning, so perhaps some further work is being done.

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
    Yes I am 1/4 (for genealogical purposes). I consider myself Jewish ethnically otherwise etc 100% if you know what I mean. My mother is Jewish and was brought up Jewish as was her mother, etc.

Anyway... I have 600+ matches and most are Ashkenazi so I would assume that I would also see the message. My mom has almost 1000 matches and they are all Ashkenazi so maybe that is why. I have my father's Norwegian and Irish/UK/Scots and possible Spanish mix in there.

I also got that stupid PF survey question again about the Middle Eastern bit after I had already answered Jewish for both my mother and I. Not sure why they thought I would answer differently

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    On one FF account the pages now number 80 but I can't move off page 1.

The mess continues.

Leave a comment:

• mollyblum
    replied
    Yes I am 1/4 (for genealogical purposes). I consider myself Jewish ethnically otherwise etc 100% if you know what I mean. My mother is Jewish and was brought up Jewish as was her mother, etc.

Anyway... I have 600+ matches and most are Ashkenazi so I would assume that I would also see the message. My mom has almost 1000 matches and they are all Ashkenazi so maybe that is why. I have my father's Norwegian and Irish/UK/Scots and possible Spanish mix in there.

I also got that stupid PF survey question again about the Middle Eastern bit after I had already answered Jewish for both my mother and I. Not sure why they thought I would answer differently

Originally posted by NYMark View Post
    That's the standard message when they detect Ashkenazi ancestry. It's interesting that it's just been added for your mother and also that you're not getting it (you're 1/4 AJ if I remember right.) I've been getting the message since day 1. I'm half. My half-brother is full, and he's never gotten it, and his matches are not being adjusted. As a result, he's got around 180 second cousins today, up from 77 a couple of days ago.

The message on the mainpage has not been updated, and raw data is still not available, so there may be more work to be done, but like Kasandra, I'm losing confidence. The overall picture now looks a lot more like Build 36 than it did a few days ago, and I'm at a loss to understand why certain numbers have changed.

At the very least, a clear and coherent explanation is in order.

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied
    FTDNA should be posting an update today or tomorrow on GAP.

Matt.

Leave a comment:

• NYMark
    replied
    That's the standard message when they detect Ashkenazi ancestry. It's interesting that it's just been added for your mother and also that you're not getting it (you're 1/4 AJ if I remember right.) I've been getting the message since day 1. I'm half. My half-brother is full, and he's never gotten it, and his matches are not being adjusted. As a result, he's got around 180 second cousins today, up from 77 a couple of days ago.

The message on the mainpage has not been updated, and raw data is still not available, so there may be more work to be done, but like Kasandra, I'm losing confidence. The overall picture now looks a lot more like Build 36 than it did a few days ago, and I'm at a loss to understand why certain numbers have changed.

At the very least, a clear and coherent explanation is in order.

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
    Not sure how many of you are Jewish aside from SJ and me but my mom has a message on the front page of her matches today that says something like:

"we notice that you have Eastern European Jewish ancestry and thus your numbers have been corrected slightly to adjust for the endogamy within the Ashkenazi population."

Not sure why I did not get the same message since I have over 600 matches myself...

Leave a comment:

• mollyblum
    replied
    Not sure how many of you are Jewish aside from SJ and me but my mom has a message on the front page of her matches today that says something like:

"we notice that you have Eastern European Jewish ancestry and thus your numbers have been corrected slightly to adjust for the endogamy within the Ashkenazi population."

Not sure why I did not get the same message since I have over 600 matches myself...

Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
    I'm seeing changes in my matches this morning. No new ones yet, but two existing ones stand out already. Previously:

A: 148.51 cM / 9.68 cM, Suggested "-"
    B: 148.83 cM / 10.94 cM, Suggested "-"

Now:

A: 163.86 cM / 9.62 cM, Suggested "2nd Cousin"
    B: 162.43 cM / 10.11 cM, Suggesed "2nd Cousin"

Maybe the DB is in transition, and they haven't applied the Ashkenzi filter yet? No other obvious jumps, though; I thought if that was the case, I'd see a lot more of these sort of things. I'll wait until tomorrow before contacting customer service, but this seems VERY weird.

Edit: Just checked my dad's kit. One change from suggested 3rd to 2nd: 124.27 cM / 26.56 cM to 133.55 cM / 24.12 cM.

When I look at this match in chromosome browser, there's one matching segment from 242416045 to 746192 (in that order). I wonder if that's the kind of thing that's throwing these off.

Leave a comment:

• Kasandra
    replied
    I just am losing faith in all but the top matches and even then have taken to making my own assessment of how close they are. This whole thing seems a bit crazy to me. Wasn't it supposed to be 'fixed' last Thursday?

Leave a comment:

• JPHutchins
    replied
    I had hoped for a few more matches. I got one new match and 69 apparent old matches returned. On 4/1/2013 I had 152 matches, today I have 222 matches.

I am definitely not complaining as long as they are correct and do not leave again.

Leave a comment:

• phje
    replied
    What's going on?

The vast majority of matches for all the kits I manage have reverted to Build 36 numbers for total cm and longest block. Is this still Build 37?

Also, there seems to be a lot of speculative matches with old dates that were never matches before but have just appeared today.

What's happening?

Leave a comment:

• sjadelson
    replied
    Yep, munged.... ~80% of my dad doesn't appear in Chromosome Browser. Still "match" him as parent/child on the match list, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X