No MT-DNA Family Finder Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No MT-DNA Family Finder Matches

Why is it that I can find many close relatives while searching my MT-DNA and Y-DNA who are also listed on Family Finder, they don't show up when selecting those that match on Family Finder? I have MT-DNA relatives that show 0 steps, but Family Finder doesn't show them as related. The same is true of Y-DNA 25s that match at 2 steps.

Familyfinder will only show cousins in a recent time frame of 200 maybe 300 years. Mtdn can go back a thousand years.

Comment

Y-DNA 25 marker is still not close to the living. If you want to possibly find closer matches to the living on Y-DNA testing 67-111 marker would be best. As for MT-DNA full gnome testing will give you your personal direct mother line but still could be much further back than a few 100 years. All depends on if you find connections to your matches through location and possible paper trail.

Comment

Originally posted by JWHVACR View Post
        Why is it that I can find many close relatives while searching my MT-DNA and Y-DNA who are also listed on Family Finder, they don't show up when selecting those that match on Family Finder? I have MT-DNA relatives that show 0 steps, but Family Finder doesn't show them as related. The same is true of Y-DNA 25s that match at 2 steps.
        You may well be genealogically related to your mtDNA 0-step matches but autosomally-disinherited due to recombination. If your mtDNA matches are based on FMS it may be useful to explore with them shared geographies of origin or ethnicity and even shared surnames. Should you find correspondences on those grounds it might be useful for you and your matches to test more of your respective family members to catch any preserved autosomal signal.

Have you tried smaller cM settings in Chromosome Browser?

Comment

Originally posted by JWHVACR View Post
          Not totally clear what you are saying. For example -- Are you saying the MtDNA shows a match between you and a close relative, and that Family Finder also shows a match between you and that relative, but that when you ask for those matching on both Family Finder and MtDNA, that relative does not appear?

Also - 0 steps on MT-DNA -- is this something unique to FMS? - I have only done HVR1, HVR2 and have never seen any mention of steps for MtDNA.

Comment

Yes, MTDNA shows steps

Under https://my.familytreedna.com/mtdna-matches.aspx it lists steps, and quite a few there show 0 steps.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
              Also - 0 steps on MT-DNA -- is this something unique to FMS? - I have only done HVR1, HVR2 and have never seen any mention of steps for MtDNA.
              FTDNA recently liberalized mtDNA matching to allow for potential matches in the presence of heteroplasmic results. I suppose the new rubric may extend to the HVR's.
              Last edited by tomcat; 29th December 2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I was wrong. MtDNA matches based on FMS may be up to four steps different but mtDNA matches based on HVR's must be exact. See Answer #10:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...spx?id=49#1848
                Last edited by tomcat; 29th December 2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                  I was wrong. MtDNA matches based on FMS may be up to four steps different but mtDNA matches based on HVR's must be exact. See Answer #10:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...spx?id=49#1848
                  so you saying if you filter your matches by HVR's then you get better results?

Comment

If one did FMS can one or more of the allowed differences be in an HVR?

I have only two HVR1 matches so my results are no guide.

Comment

Working...
                    X