• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOlson View Post
    Sorry,

A line got left out in my response.

To get a closer look at your African component:

After you get your Admix results, scroll down and click on the "2D PCA" button

Select x=PCA6, y=PCA5, click on "Submit"
    Oh...OK

Comment

Originally posted by RosemaryFurtaw View Post
      Oh...OK
      Your Jtest percentages and the PCA plot you've posted may answer the question you asked in another thread you started - http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31787 - Confused..Middle Eastern Jew?

You report in that thread that Population Finder gave you 21.93% Middle East Jewish and wondered where that is coming from. In Jtest percentages, you have only 1.02% Ashkenazi, but 11.11% East African. I don't think that PF is reporting any actual Jewish ancestry, given your low Ashkenazi percentage in Jtest.

Looking at the PCA plot, the first possibility is that you may have some Jewish ancestry through Ethiopia. There is a significant Ethiopian Jewish population, going back to Biblical times, that immigrated to Israel, especially in the last 20 years. The other possibility is that PF is mistaking some East African ancestry from the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia), next to the Red Sea and the Arabian peninsula, for Middle Eastern Jewish ancestry. There have probably been multiple migrations back and forth between East Africa and the Arabian peninsula over thousands of year. So some East African populations aren't too far off genetically from Southwest Asian (Arab) populations.

With either possibility, it looks like you have significant East African, as well as strong West African ancestry.

Comment

The "3D PCA" allows you to add another Principal Component (PC1) that shows how your European ancestry adds to the picture. Try x=PC5, y=PC1, z=PC6

Comment

Rosemary since you posted in the other thread your father may be from Cuba or Puerto Rico the best utility for you to use at the moment on gedmatch is MDLP World Oracle. Its not reading completely accurate on my family as far as Europe goes but it has more American Indian samples than other utilities. Use the MDLP world Oracle not the MDLP world 22. The MDLP world 22 gives me 18% Ashkenazi we dont have. If you match any American Indian tribes MDLP world may pick that up in your DNA. Ours is on record so it just backs up some paper for us.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
            I am either totally confused here, completely oblivious to what is being discussed or in another dimension.

Do people realize that Judaism is an ethnicity as well as a religion? It is not tantamount to Catholicism or the Church of England or Protestantism or any other religion for that matter. I am a Jew by ethnicity whether or not I choose to be one by religion. I am a Jew genetically because my mother was Jewish and her mother was Jewish all the way back to one woman in the Middle East who is the "Eve" of the haplogroup K1a1b1a. I do not need 25% to show up to be considered Jewish because my mother is Jewish because her mother was Jewish, and so on. It is a matrilineal religion/group. People who have Jewish ancestry show up most probably have Jewish ancestry. Someone in their past probably was a Jew. They may have converted to Christianity or they may have been forced during the Inquisition or they may have been put up for adoption not knowing that their parents were Jews.

There is a reason Jews suffer from certain genetic birth defects and genetic mutations. They are a distinct genetic ethnic group; like people of Mediterranean descent or Scandanavian descent , etc. Catholics, or Episcopalians do not have genetic diseases common to their groups.

I am not sure if this information is helpful or if I am just not understanding the rhetoric used.

And despite my 11% Jewish Jtest I am definitely a Jew. In fact, I am going home now to eat some rugelach.

Amybeth

i had my DNA tested at 23 and me. i found out my haplogroup is K1a1b1a. i was very surprised by this as my mother's family is/were ukrainian greek catholics from the Ukraine/Galicia area. my maternal great great grandmother was definitely ukrainian and greek catholic. i have a family history manuscript written my my grandmother's first cousin. she visited the village of my great great grandmother shortly before world war 2 and talked about how both of my great great grandparents died within 6 months of each other and were buried in 1899 in front of the ukrainian greek catholic church. i have no known jewish ancestry on either side of my family. my father's family is polish roman catholics on both sides. i have about 340 matches on 'relative finder' at 23 and me and only about 4 of them are declared ashkenazi (all distant). my mom was tested for family finder at FTDNA and she only has about 30 matches and all are distant. for this reason i do not think i have any recent jewish ancestry. my question is: is it unusual to have the haplogroup K1a1b1a and have no known jewish ancestry? does having this haplogroup mean that i have a 'jewish grandmother' somewhere on my maternal line?

Comment

Originally posted by jilski View Post
              is it unusual to have the haplogroup K1a1b1a and have no known jewish ancestry? does having this haplogroup mean that i have a 'jewish grandmother' somewhere on my maternal line?
              Yes, and very likely. My guess is you have a Jewish matrilineal ancestor who became Eastern Orthodox before 1775 and quite possibly as far back as the 15th or 16th century, which explains the lack of both autosomal and paper-trail evidence.

There are several ways this could arise: most likely your ancestor converted for marriage or for other reasons; but the mtDNA could also have entered the gene pool through switched babies, an orphan who was adopted, etc.

Comment

Jtest

"Originally Posted by JOlson
                Sorry,

A line got left out in my response.

To get a closer look at your African component:

After you get your Admix results, scroll down and click on the "2D PCA" button

Select x=PCA6, y=PCA5, click on "Submit"

Where may I find a definition of the various choices for this exercise?

Thanks,
                TT

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                  This kit is 1/4 Ashkenazi/Sephardi mix, the rest mainly various Northern and Western European populations, and matches quite well with the results:

Population
                  SOUTH_BALTIC 10.67%
                  EAST_EURO 9.84%
                  NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 22.28%
                  ATLANTIC 19.63%
                  WEST_MED 12.80%
                  ASHKENAZI 9.14%
                  EAST_MED 9.13%
                  WEST_ASIAN 2.58%
                  MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.02%
                  SOUTH_ASIAN 0.64%
                  EAST_AFRICAN 0.22%
                  EAST_ASIAN -
                  SIBERIAN 0.06%
                  WEST_AFRICAN -

So what I would say is, unless you are getting at or over 5% simultaneously on Eastern Mediterranean and Ashkenazi, and at least 2% Middle Eastern, you are probably looking at noise. Even with these levels it bears looking at paintings by chromosome.
                  Hi, I'm new to this thread, but I thought I would share an example that contradicts this advice. Here are the Jtest results for a person I share with on 23andme who is 6% Ashkenazi there (one great-grandparent):

Population
                  SOUTH_BALTIC 16.11%
                  EAST_EURO 11.55%
                  NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 17.69%
                  ATLANTIC 23.56%
                  WEST_MED 11.54%
                  ASHKENAZI 7.64%
                  EAST_MED 2.17%
                  WEST_ASIAN 9.15%
                  MIDDLE_EASTERN -
                  SOUTH_ASIAN 0.58%
                  EAST_AFRICAN -
                  EAST_ASIAN -
                  SIBERIAN -
                  WEST_AFRICAN -

Notice that the East Med is well below 5% and the Middle Eastern is zero. I've seen this with several people with minor Ashkenazi ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                  X