My JTest Results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JTest Results.

Hi to everyone and all the experts out there.

I was wondering if you could comment on my Jtest results at GedMatch. Namely, if my percentages indicate Ashkenazi ancestry. Here are my readings:

South Baltic 13.28%
    East Euro 10.13%
    North-Central Euro 28.42%
    Atlantic 27.45%
    West Med 9.68%
    Ashkenazi 3.02%
    East Med 2.32%
    West Asian 5.66%
    Middle Eastern 0%
    South Asian 0%
    East African 0%
    East Asian 0%
    Siberian 0%
    West African 0%

FTDNA Population Finder has me as about 95% western European (Orcadian) and about 5% Middle Eastern (Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish) Could the middle eastern percentage be from jewish ancestry? I had Dr. McDonald do an analysis and it was found that I was 100% European. Any comments on possible jewish ancestry would be appreciated.

YDNA: R1b-U152 (Z56+)
    mtDNA: HV

The Jtest is a poor model of your admixture. I suggest that you run several of the other models--from Eurogenese, Dodecad, and MDLP.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAINTEREST View Post

I was wondering if you could comment on my Jtest results at GedMatch. Namely, if my percentages indicate Ashkenazi ancestry. Here are my readings:

South Baltic 13.28%
      East Euro 10.13%
      Atlantic 27.45%
      West Med 9.68%
      Ashkenazi 3.02%
      East Med 2.32%
      West Asian 5.66%
      Middle Eastern 0%
      South Asian 0%
      East African 0%
      East Asian 0%
      Siberian 0%
      West African 0%

FTDNA Population Finder has me as about 95% western European (Orcadian) and about 5% Middle Eastern (Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish) Could the middle eastern percentage be from jewish ancestry? I had Dr. McDonald do an analysis and it was found that I was 100% European. Any comments on possible jewish ancestry would be appreciated.

As discussed in several other threads, both your 5% Middle Eastern and 3% Ashkenazi are most likely statistical "noise" and not truly indicative of either recent or ancient Jewish ancestry. There's supposed to be a PF revision coming soon which may clear that up for you, and I think there will also be a revised Jtest relatively soon.

Comment

South Baltic 13.28%
        East Euro 10.13%
        Atlantic 27.45%
        West Med 9.68%
        Ashkenazi 3.02%
        East Med 2.32%
        West Asian 5.66%
        Middle Eastern 0%
        South Asian 0%
        East African 0%
        East Asian 0%
        Siberian 0%
        West African 0%

Comment

Outside of the minimal dna signs, do you have any reason to think you might have Jewish ancestry.

Comment

South Baltic 13.28%
            East Euro 10.13%
            Atlantic 27.45%
            West Med 9.68%
            Ashkenazi 3.02%
            East Med 2.32%
            West Asian 5.66%
            Middle Eastern 0%
            South Asian 0%
            East African 0%
            East Asian 0%
            Siberian 0%
            West African 0%

Your 3% Ashkenazi is most likely noise. The reason why I say that is because your East Med, and West Asian is low. A general rule with these calculators, anything 3% or lower is most likely noise.

The 3% could be real admixture, but most of the time it is noise. Do you have any Jewish matches?

Comment

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
              Your 3% Ashkenazi is most likely noise. The reason why I say that is because your East Med, and West Asian is low. A general rule with these calculators, anything 3% or lower is most likely noise.

The 3% could be real admixture, but most of the time it is noise. Do you have any Jewish matches?
              About 14 years ago,my cousin did some genealogy research and found out we were part Native. Being a little skeptical, I did the same research myself and sure enough, we are about 3% Native. When I got my autosomal DNA results, I tested at 2.93% Native. Right in step with our genealogy research. So based on my experience, numbers under 3% are not necessarily noise.

Comment

I often look upon use of the term "noise" as meaning, "we really don't know." Also, if I am correct, the current J-test on GEDmatch is supposed to be indicative of possible Ashkenazi ancestry and not ancestry of other Jewish groups in the Iberian Penninsula, the Middle East or North Africa.

Comment

Something I did notice about the J-test: It picks up African segments (when compared to other tools on GEDmatch) very well. However, it assigns "Siberian" to segments that are noted as Amerindian, American and even east Asian using other calculators. J-test is geared towards a specific population: in this case, Europeans with possible Ashkenazi ancestry. Once something unusual is present (populations not usually historically associated with the target population at hand), over-generalization occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by mixedkid View Post
                    ... However, it assigns "Siberian" to segments that are noted as Amerindian, American and even east Asian using other calculators. ...
                    This is not surprising. Admix models identify the similarities between your heritage and that of the model's reference populations. Amerindians are descendants of Asians who migrated from Siberia across the Bering Straits to the North American continent.

Comment

Originally posted by mixedkid View Post
                      I often look upon use of the term "noise" as meaning, "we really don't know." Also, if I am correct, the current J-test on GEDmatch is supposed to be indicative of possible Ashkenazi ancestry and not ancestry of other Jewish groups in the Iberian Penninsula, the Middle East or North Africa.
                      Its not just Ashkenazi , but other jewish groups as well. its also got gentile people.
                      how else could you do the test, unless you merged these common hebrews , be they jew or non-jew.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
                        how else could you do the test, unless you merged these common hebrews , be they jew or non-jew.
                        I am not sure what you're saying here, and I suspect I am not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                          I am not sure what you're saying here, and I suspect I am not the only one.
                          The test incorporates all hebrew people jew and non-jew.......the non-jew hebrews where referred to as the Gentiles.

The Jtest ( and EUtest, as you need to run them together) was reworked on the 4th of November, Davidski is also working on a plotter instead of an oracle. He will issue coordinates to enter once its working

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
                            The test incorporates all hebrew people jew and non-jew.......the non-jew hebrews where referred to as the Gentiles.

The Jtest ( and EUtest, as you need to run them together) was reworked on the 4th of November, Davidski is also working on a plotter instead of an oracle. He will issue coordinates to enter once its working
                            Do you mean Semetic people which includes Arabs and Jews? Hebrew would denote Judaism. I think you are using the wrong terminology.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
                              Do you mean Semetic people which includes Arabs and Jews? Hebrew would denote Judaism. I think you are using the wrong terminology.
                              I meant hebrews as in semetic israelites, who where initially called hebrews and eventually called jews by the Romans. Not all hebrews had the jewish faith, so , who where not jewish where called gentiles

from the 17th century onward Gentile was most commonly used to refer to non-Jews. This was in the context of European Christian societies with a Jewish minority. For this reason Gentile commonly meant persons brought up in the Christian faith

hebrews that where christians

Comment

Working...
                              X