Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matches in over 30 days. Market saturation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with FTDNA is they lack operational maturity. They have power outages that wipe their database and take weeks to recover from as a recent example. There is no way in heck a company like Ancestry.com would hitch their wagon to FTDNA given that kind of example.

FTDNA does a lot of things right, but they just can't seem to avoid major glitches.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
      The problem with FTDNA is they lack operational maturity. They have power outages that wipe their database and take weeks to recover from as a recent example. There is no way in heck a company like Ancestry.com would hitch their wagon to FTDNA given that kind of example.

FTDNA does a lot of things right, but they just can't seem to avoid major glitches.
      I think "operational maturity" is a good description of what's lacking. Their IT effort often strikes me as sub-par. Losing data through a power outage is unforgivable for a company that depends on data for its living. Customer communication is also quite poor.

Ultimately a company's operational culture reflects its management style. As companies grow, and more importantly as their competition grows, management capability has to grow too, or face the inevitable consequences.

Comment

You all must have methods that you use to find matches that I haven't figured out yet. While I have 300+ matches on FTDNA and well over a thousand now on Ancestry - I have yet to find any new connection. Everything I have found was already proven by the paper trail.

I guess it is good to have confirmation that genetic and paper matches - but my goal was to break some brick walls. So far I have a lot of matches who are supposedly conneced but who match nothing.

As for Ancestry, yes there are lots of matches - the one cousin match (which I already knew via the paper trail) did not identify the right connection yet both our trees were correct. I agree the data could be useful but without a "in common with" feature or raw data, in my opinion it is very cumbersome to look at anything but a one to one comparison.

How are you all dealing with the data given the lack of a "in common with" feature?

Comment

Hi Teresann

I am in the same boat you are in. Lots of supposed matches, but very very few confirmed matches. To make matters worse, all my confirmed matches are on my maternal side. I have yet to even find a possible candidate on my paternal side. I have direct ancestry to many common names on his side, but nothing has turned up.

I too had hoped to penetrate some brick walls, but so far all my matches were already known on paper and not a single unknown cousin has been found. I entered the FF testing on the first day I could with the hope of actually locating unknown relatives, but this has not happened.

I think that if my proposed matches are valid, then the range of relationship is so far out that it is allmost impossible to ever find the common ancestor. I have a very good paper trail. I know all my ggg's and a few further back. A large % of my matches provide no surnames or GEDCOMS and those that do, show areas and surnames that seem to be out of place.

I am still hoping that I did not waste my money and that with time something will eventually show up.

Comment

Bulk result reporting??

Is FTDNA now just reporting FF matches once a month or perhaps twice per month?

Since July 1, I have only received results on 4 days:
            July 19 I received 8 matches
            Aug 10 I received 6 matches
            Aug 31 I received 10 matches
            Sept 30 I received 9 matches

It used to be that almost every week I would recieve 1 or 2 matches. Am I going to have to wait until Oct 31 to receive the next batch of matches? I now have 185 matches.

I thought that the recent sales were drawing in lots of new people to be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
              Is FTDNA now just reporting FF matches once a month or perhaps twice per month?

Since July 1, I have only received results on 4 days:
              July 19 I received 8 matches
              Aug 10 I received 6 matches
              Aug 31 I received 10 matches
              Sept 30 I received 9 matches

It used to be that almost every week I would recieve 1 or 2 matches. Am I going to have to wait until Oct 31 to receive the next batch of matches? I now have 185 matches.

I thought that the recent sales were drawing in lots of new people to be tested.
              FTDNA is NOT scheduling (that I know of) kits on a per weekly, per bi-weekly or per monthly basis. FTDNA reports them as the come in. If there has been a slow down, it is due to less kits coming in, or a hold due to IT changes or lab changes.

Comment

Looks like they are only updating batches once a month now, any one know why?
                Had 2 kits come up with mtDNA HV1 matches lastw eek.

Comment

Batch 484 (expected date 11/21) has population finder results, no family finder matches yet.

Comment

No FF statistics on the FTDNA website but list others like these:

7,109 SURNAME PROJECTS
                    38,244 unique surnames
                    244,964 Y-DNA records in the database
                    157,658 25-marker records in the database
                    137,573 37-marker records in the database
                    63,654 67-marker records in the database
                    150,685 mtDNA records in the database
                    20,696 FGS records in the database

Does anyone know how many people have tested FF?

Comment

very interesting:

My mother's Population Finder just came in. Both my parents are descendants of British colonists with a little Native American mixed in. Both having darker features than me; I apparently took after my very fair-skinned paternal grandfather, having blond hair as a youth and sunburning easily. My father was only 1/8 Creek but give him a day or two in the sun and he could have passed as a Creek.

Here are our PF results

Father - Europe (Orcadian) 100.00% margin of error ±0.01%
                      Mother - Europe (Orcadian) 100.00% margin of error ±0.01%

Me - Western Europe (Orcadian 94.85% margin of error ±1.39%
                      Middle East (Adygei, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish) 4.84% margin of error ±1.38%
                      Last edited by Bertp; 22 October 2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X