Irish ancestry not showing up in pf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish ancestry not showing up in pf?

I'm adopted and my birthmother stated in non identifying information that she was full Irish on both sides and that my birth father was full Mexican. Here is what my PF says.
    Europe Finish,Russian 53.07% +-9.48%
    Native American (Central American) Maya 19.60% +-0.67%
    Middle East Bedouin South, Jewish 27.32% +-8.83%
    Is it common for someone of Irish decent to have results such as these? I had no idea that I had any Middle Eastern ancestry at all and that is quite shocking. It's even more shocking that theres nothing there at all that implies any Irish ancestry. I have yet to recieve anything other than PF thus far but maybe once I have my matches in I'll have a better understanding to all of this.

Originally posted by lisamohler71 View Post
    I'm adopted and my birthmother stated in non identifying information that she was full Irish on both sides and that my birth father was full Mexican. Here is what my PF says.
    Is it common for someone of Irish decent to have results such as these? I had no idea that I had any Middle Eastern ancestry at all and that is quite shocking. It's even more shocking that theres nothing there at all that implies any Irish ancestry. I have yet to recieve anything other than PF thus far but maybe once I have my matches in I'll have a better understanding to all of this.
    Check my post to you in the Batch section. Don't feel bad, there is no Irish population sample in Population Finder. The Irish are pretty far north so maybe your Finnish result also has to something to do with your Irish ancestry.

Your FF results will definitely give you a better understanding of your results. The Middle Eastern result is also common in people with European heritage. Either it means that it is pulling you south to pinpoint somewhere maybe just south of the Finns. Or else you have Middle Eastern ancestry.

None of my known ancestries come up in PF. I'm Italian, Albanian, Dutch, and German on my mother's side. On my father's Russian, Czech, Polish, and Lithuanian. Check out PF in my signature. My Middle Eastern result was a pleasant surprise, but makes sense with my Southern Italian, and Eastern European heritage.

Comment

The NA and Middle Eastern is most likely reflective of your father's ancestry, nothing inaccurate there. "Irish" is not used with Population Finder as of right now, Irish would fall under Orcadian. You are not alone on this issue. I have 6-10 GGG Grandparents from Southern Italy documented and no Italian shows up on mine. PF should be getting at update.
      Last edited by Taz85; 29th August 2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for replying to my post. I knew that Irish would possibly fall under Orcadian. Maybe my birth mothers ancestors lived in Ireland but came from somewhere else. I'm very excited about all this!!

Comment

At least from your father's side, the Middle Eastern and Native American could be indicative of a person of Mexican background. The Middle Eastern could come from Jews, Arabs or Berbers associated with Spain.

As for the Irish side: Wait for the new version of PopulationFinder to come out. Before that happens, pay close attention to the reported ancestry of your FamilyFinder cousins. Also pay close attention to their ancestral names.

Comment

My mothers three grandparents where French and one was Scots/Irish. Her PF results is reported as 100 % French. I have been told that these calculations are done by averaging , of some kind.
            Quite honestly I have doubts about the science behind these kinds of tests.
            I can see results such as mid eastern or euorpean as being accurate but doubt the ability to specify modern countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              My mothers three grandparents where French and one was Scots/Irish. Her PF results is reported as 100 % French. I have been told that these calculations are done by averaging , of some kind.
              Quite honestly I have doubts about the science behind these kinds of tests.
              I can see results such as mid eastern or euorpean as being accurate but doubt the ability to specify modern countries.
              I think this is a very good answer that it can not identify "modern" countries, but is accurate for the continents.

Out of curiosity, and I was going to start a new thread for this, what modern countries in Europe actually correlate to the French?
              It seems that Orcadian is the catch all. I never knew of any French ancestry until I started doing paper genealogy. Far back in my maternal line I did find some French. So amazing that this would be my top match. I have recent Italian, and Russian ancestry but neither show in my results, and I know these are populations that FTDNA uses, so I find it odd.

Any thoughts out there as to what the French are a "catch all" for, or if they truly just represent the French in the PF results.

Comment

Wow. Well, I guess you probably didn't want more of a mystery, but its a kind of neat one.

I would say your options are:
                * test is wrong/inaccurate
                * your mother was unaware of her accurate ancestry
                * your mother put down inaccurate information

I'd recommend that you submit your data to gedmatch and also to Dr McDonald (I think someone listed his email?). The admixture models available at gedmatch *might* shed some light on things, especially the oracle feature that is attached to dodecad v3.

I hope you get some close cousin matches that help you triangulate in on what's happening...

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by aeduna View Post
                  Wow. Well, I guess you probably didn't want more of a mystery, but its a kind of neat one.

I would say your options are:
                  * test is wrong/inaccurate
                  * your mother was unaware of her accurate ancestry
                  * your mother put down inaccurate information

I'd recommend that you submit your data to gedmatch and also to Dr McDonald (I think someone listed his email?). The admixture models available at gedmatch *might* shed some light on things, especially the oracle feature that is attached to dodecad v3.

I hope you get some close cousin matches that help you triangulate in on what's happening...
                  I agree, it is a neat mystery to have. I'm finding out things that I never knew about myself. I'm not disappointed at all with results. I was just curious about the Irish ancestry and was wondering if others had similar experience. Someone did say that maybe my birth mothers ancestors lived in Ireland for several generations and that's why she said she was Irish. As soon as I get the raw data I will upload to gedmatch and to Dr. McDonald to make better sense out of all this.

Comment

Someone did say that maybe my birth mothers ancestors lived in Ireland for several generations and that's why she said she was Irish.
                    Remember that several parts of Ireland where settled by Vikings such as the city of Dublin so that Finnish, Russian 53.07% may make some sense.
                    Also notice in my signature Russian Finnish shows up even though I have almost entirely French. The French where the second biggest European immigrants in Mexico. There are entire cities even today who’s majorities are primarily French Mexican

Consider who the French are:
                    Most French people are the descendants of Gauls (a western European Celtic people), as well as Italic people, Sarmatian peoples (Alans, Taifals), Bretons, Belgae, Aquitanians (Basques), Iberians, Ligurians, Suebi, Saxons and Greeks in southern France, mixed with the Germanic people arriving at the end of the Roman Empire such as the Franks, the Visigoths and the Burgundians, and Vikings known as Normans.

So it seems to me that anyone in Western Europe may register as French.
                    It suggests to me why pinpointing anyone's ancestry to a particular country is doubtful

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, in fact we're almost identical with the population finder. I'm of Mexican and Italian descent, but there's nothing coming up that hints Italian. According to my results I'm 53% Jewish, 24% Mayan, and 22% European Finnish, Russian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                        Remember that several parts of Ireland where settled by Vikings such as the city of Dublin so that Finnish, Russian 53.07% may make some sense.
                        Also notice in my signature Russian Finnish shows up even though I have almost entirely French. The French where the second biggest European immigrants in Mexico. There are entire cities even today who’s majorities are primarily French Mexican

Consider who the French are:
                        Most French people are the descendants of Gauls (a western European Celtic people), as well as Italic people, Sarmatian peoples (Alans, Taifals), Bretons, Belgae, Aquitanians (Basques), Iberians, Ligurians, Suebi, Saxons and Greeks in southern France, mixed with the Germanic people arriving at the end of the Roman Empire such as the Franks, the Visigoths and the Burgundians, and Vikings known as Normans.

So it seems to me that anyone in Western Europe may register as French.
                        It suggests to me why pinpointing anyone's ancestry to a particular country is doubtful
                        Thanks Brunetmj! This was helpful. I have to confess I was not aware of the French's origins as thoroughly as your explanation .

Comment

Originally posted by rancelli View Post
                          I know exactly what you mean, in fact we're almost identical with the population finder. I'm of Mexican and Italian descent, but there's nothing coming up that hints Italian. According to my results I'm 53% Jewish, 24% Mayan, and 22% European Finnish, Russian.
                          Many in Mexico are getting strange Finnish results. It maybe Indian tribes they cant read and dont have DNA samples to compare to

Im not Italian but others have posted not many Italians have DNA tested and do show up with Middle Eastern DNA and why they maybe putting you as Jewish which covers ME
                          Last edited by Yaffa; 31st August 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Matches in

Looks to me that there are a lot of matches that have ancestry in Ireland. There's also a lot of Irish/Scottish sounding surnames listed. Of course I have a lot of hispanic matches as well. The best match I have is a predicted 3rd cousin we share a total of 72.32 cm with the longest block being 50.46. We have about 10 or so cousins in common with 2 being 3rd cousins as well.

Comment

My mother is part Irish, Dutch and French-Norman 50%

I came back
                              67% French/Orcadian
                              17% Mayan Columbian (father is Costa Rican)
                              16% Middle Eastern Jewish

I get the AmerIndian and Jewish from my father. He is Spanish Sephardic Jewish mixed with Spanish, Indian from Central America.

I think that PF interpreted my Irish as Orcadian. My maternal DNA is found in Wales and Ireland, that's pretty Celtic if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                              X