Difference in number of X-DNA matches between brother and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in number of X-DNA matches between brother and I

I’ve noticed something interesting today on my Family Finder. My brother has approximately 125 matches on his X chromosome out of 30 000 FF matches (which is less than 1 % of his total matches). While I’ve got 437 matches out of 27 000 FF matches (which is approximately 1,6 % of my total matches). The difference in number of X-DNA matches between my brother and I surprises me since we’re both males (meaning that we only inherited one X chromosome from our mother). That said, we’re 3/4 Ashkenazi (from our father and maternal grandfather) and 1/4 Sephardic (from our maternal grandmother). So I wonder if this means that I inherited my maternal grandfather’s X chromosome while my brother may have inherited more of a mixture of my maternal grandparent’s X chromosomes. That said, how many X-DNA matches do fully Ashkenazi women (who did not test their parents) tend to get on Family Finder? Any insight(s) on the matter will be gladly welcome here.

Of course, the X chromosomes which you and your brother received from your mother are different, so I wouldn't be too worried in the difference in matches between you and your brother,

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
      Of course, the X chromosomes which you and your brother received from your mother are different, so I wouldn't be too worried in the difference in matches between you and your brother,
      Thanks for your answer. How many X-matches do you (or your siblings) have? Are you Ashkenazi?
      Last edited by Power77; 13 September 2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Power77 View Post

Thanks for your answer. How many X-matches do you (or your siblings) have? Are you Ashkenazi?
        I am not Ashkenazi. I only have 2 X-matches on FF, one of which is my mother. My mother has 38, one with me. My 17% Ashkenazi step daughter has 174 matches.

I would not worry too much about X-matches which are more than a few generations back. I am doing some research on distant X-matches which I hope will shed a new light on the subject. Hope to have something out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post

I am not Ashkenazi. I only have 2 X-matches on FF, one of which is my mother. My mother has 38, one with me. My 17% Ashkenazi step daughter has 174 matches.

I would not worry too much about X-matches which are more than a few generations back. I am doing some research on distant X-matches which I hope will shed a new light on the subject. Hope to have something out soon.
          Interesting, I thought women would have had a MUCH higher number and percentage of X-matches than that. Does your mother’s and stepdaughter’s X-DNA raw data look different from yours in terms of heterozygous calls (such as AG, CT, or AT)?

Comment

I really haven't looked at that. I need to put together my blog on X-matching, because if I present it piecemeal, people will say "you are crazy". Basically the threashold for X-matching should be a whole lot lower. FTDNA sets its parameters at a very high level.

Comment

Working...
            X