Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you view stress especially in this time of Covid19 lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you view stress especially in this time of Covid19 lockdown?

Hey guys,

How are you doing? I, myself is not feeling good. I feel stressed and so worried especially during this Covid19 pandemic. I am a single mom working full time virtually and I also do homeschooling for my teen, and I also do all the household chores from buying groceries, cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry and so on. And all of this work is brought about the Covid19 lockdown. I am on the edge on getting exhausted.

I have a cousin with the same circumstances too. But I am wondering why is she able to take things so lightly and not stressed out?

I am beginning to wonder if the way we handle stress, how we react and how we view things is genetic? Or is it just because of the given situation?

Your thoughts guys, it might help me to calm down.

In some cases, anxiety disorders can be genetic, but other factors ( such as the behavior we grow up in, personal habits, etc) often contribute more. I wouldn’t feel bad because your cousin is calmer than you, we all grow and change as people and learn how to cope with bad situations on our own time, and maybe she’s stressed too but she doesn’t show it. But if someone you see seems to be handleing things better than you, I would be honest with her ( if you’re comfortable doing so) and ask for advice such as “ how do you keep such a cool head,” or “ what do you do to manage stress,” etc. Either way, you are in very difficult circumstances, and I admire you for carrying on with your duties, so be patient with yourself, you have a lot on your mind! We all wish you well in these hard times, so be sure to be patient with your self, stay safe and don’t worry about how you react, just remember to take care of yourself along with the house and kids. Lots of people all over the world probably feel the way you do right now, but things will get better eventually, and I’m sorry this has been so hard on you.

Comment

raspchide, I don't know what your teenage child is like, and I'll probably sound like an advice columnist, but now is a good time to have him or her help with the cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Those are skills needed in life, and if your child ever thinks about eventually living away from home, it's important to learn how to do them. Start with a few small things if your teen is resistant. A little help is better than nothing. Have a talk about how you both need some relief due to the stress. I'm sure your teen is under stress, too, so present it as helping each other.

Perhaps your teen has been wrapped up in his/her own situation, being away from friends and relatives, not being in school physically, unable to do usual activities. Maybe you can work as a team for household chores, during times when neither of you are working or doing schoolwork. Then have a time when you can do something to relax, preferably together for at least some of the time (whether watching TV, listening to music, singing, dancing, playing a board or card game, preparing a food or dessert you both like, or otherwise), instead of the teen perhaps doing whatever he or she wants during all his or her free time. Your teen may appreciate chipping in to help. I hope so!

Hang in there. You've both come this far, and although there are still months to go, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        Hang in there. You've both come this far, and although there are still months to go, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
        Thank you so much, KATM. You enlighten my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda Hatton View Post
          In some cases, anxiety disorders can be genetic, but other factors ( such as the behavior we grow up in, personal habits, etc) often contribute more. I wouldn’t feel bad because your cousin is calmer than you, we all grow and change as people and learn how to cope with bad situations on our own time, and maybe she’s stressed too but she doesn’t show it. But if someone you see seems to be handleing things better than you, I would be honest with her ( if you’re comfortable doing so) and ask for advice such as “ how do you keep such a cool head,” or “ what do you do to manage stress,” etc. Either way, you are in very difficult circumstances, and I admire you for carrying on with your duties, so be patient with yourself, you have a lot on your mind! We all wish you well in these hard times, so be sure to be patient with your self, stay safe and don’t worry about how you react, just remember to take care of yourself along with the house and kids. Lots of people all over the world probably feel the way you do right now, but things will get better eventually, and I’m sorry this has been so hard on you.
          Thank you for this uplifting message Rhonda Hatton . I am sure I'll get by as everyone does. I also talked to my cousin and she shared to me that this page (https://www.who.int/publications/i/i...BoCmLEQAvD_BwE) where she downloaded this guide - Doing What Matters in Times of Stress. I don't have any idea what is in the guide but she told me it helped her so I think I'm gonna download it too.

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          raspchide, I don't know what your teenage child is like, and I'll probably sound like an advice columnist, but now is a good time to have him or her help with the cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Those are skills needed in life, and if your child ever thinks about eventually living away from home, it's important to learn how to do them. Start with a few small things if your teen is resistant. A little help is better than nothing. Have a talk about how you both need some relief due to the stress. I'm sure your teen is under stress, too, so present it as helping each other.

Perhaps your teen has been wrapped up in his/her own situation, being away from friends and relatives, not being in school physically, unable to do usual activities. Maybe you can work as a team for household chores, during times when neither of you are working or doing schoolwork. Then have a time when you can do something to relax, preferably together for at least some of the time (whether watching TV, listening to music, singing, dancing, playing a board or card game, preparing a food or dessert you both like, or otherwise), instead of the teen perhaps doing whatever he or she wants during all his or her free time. Your teen may appreciate chipping in to help. I hope so!

KATM yes he is 12. I have taught him a few chores like helping in the cleaning the house, folding clothes and doing the bed. And it helps a bit. But sometimes he is playful that it adds to my stress . I'll talk to him and hoping he gonna understand what I am going through. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by raspchide View Post
            Hey guys,

How are you doing? I, myself is not feeling good. I feel stressed and so worried especially during this Covid19 pandemic. I am a single mom working full time virtually and I also do homeschooling for my teen, and I also do all the household chores from buying groceries, cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry and so on. And all of this work is brought about the Covid19 lockdown. I am on the edge on getting exhausted.

I have a cousin with the same circumstances too. But I am wondering why is she able to take things so lightly and not stressed out?

I am beginning to wonder if the way we handle stress, how we react and how we view things is genetic? Or is it just because of the given situation?

Your thoughts guys, it might help me to calm down.
            Stress perse is not genetically acquired but how we managed stress can be genetic - we inherit the traits from our parents. So probably your cousin manages stress in a calm manner because her parents do that too. Observe how your parents handle or manage stress. But fortunately we as humans can be adaptable to environment so you are likely be able to handle that stress well - focus on the right things and be positive

Comment

Originally posted by barbarychutney View Post

Stress perse is not genetically acquired but how we managed stress can be genetic - we inherit the traits from our parents. So probably your cousin manages stress in a calm manner because her parents do that too. Observe how your parents handle or manage stress. But fortunately we as humans can be adaptable to environment so you are likely be able to handle that stress well - focus on the right things and be positive
              Ohhhh this is something new to me barbarychutney . I'll research more on that - it is interesting. Thanks for your informative thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by raspchide View Post

Ohhhh this is something new to me barbarychutney . I'll research more on that - it is interesting. Thanks for your informative thoughts!
                You may do some researches that explains the genetic side of stress. I hope you're handling your stress and anxiety in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by barbarychutney View Post

You may do some researches that explains the genetic side of stress. I hope you're handling your stress and anxiety in a good way.
                  Thank you so much for sharing. I have learned something new and it is helping.

Comment

Working...
                  X