Male with massive X-match - error?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male with massive X-match - error?

I have one new peculiar autosomal match. I am male. The match is 36cM total, largest segment 10cM - not very close. This kit does not match my mother's kit. Yet in the Chromosome browser, it shows that I match this person almost the entire X segment (length is shown as 193.95cM). That seems bizarre. Aside from my Mom and her brother, I have no other matches with even a 10cM X-match. Is this X-match accurate then, or it is it perhaps an FTDNA error? Thank you.

So, are you saying at GEDmatch you did a one-to-one compare (which is autosomal) with your mother's Kit#; and then, secondly, you also did an X one-to-one compare, and your mother did not match on that either? Since the X, as you already seem to know, cannot pass through 2 successive males..............
    Last edited by Biblioteque; 10th December 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

There have been a few reports of seemingly impossible X matches recently. At least some of them have been declared data errors by FTDNA, but exactly how that could happen has not been revealed, as far as I know. Sure sounds like you have another one!

Comment

Contact FTDNA Contact Us / Open Request form and have them look at kit(s).
        https://www.familytreedna.com/contact

Only reason I can think of for error is one of the kits being compared could be a pseudo kit (ie like a Gedmatch Lazarus kit) that someone created (incorrectly) and uploaded via the transfer utility .

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
          So, are you saying at GEDmatch you did a one-to-one compare (which is autosomal) with your mother's Kit#; and then, secondly, you also did an X one-to-one compare, and your mother did not match on that either? Since the X, as you already seem to know, cannot pass through 2 successive males..............
          No, the kit is not on GEDMatch. At FTDNA I match the kit but my Mom doesn't. I don't know what FTDNA thinks her X-match would be to this kit. Also to correct one point - the X-match is 195.93cM - I mixed up the digits earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
            Contact FTDNA Contact Us / Open Request form and have them look at kit(s).
            https://www.familytreedna.com/contact

Only reason I can think of for error is one of the kits being compared could be a pseudo kit (ie like a Gedmatch Lazarus kit) that someone created (incorrectly) and uploaded via the transfer utility .
            Whatever the reason, it sounds a bit off and I will contact support. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Archdale View Post

No, the kit is not on GEDMatch. At FTDNA I match the kit but my Mom doesn't. I don't know what FTDNA thinks her X-match would be to this kit. Also to correct one point - the X-match is 195.93cM - I mixed up the digits earlier.
              Is the match with a female?
              Last edited by georgian1950; 11th December 2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                Is the match with a female?
                No, the match is male.

Comment

Originally posted by Archdale View Post

No, the match is male.
                  Now that is curious, since males only have one X-chromosome. That means both of you match exactly on your X-chromosomes. If you were comparing with a female, she would have two chromosomes and you could be getting a half match by matching one or the other at each SNP.

Comment

Follow up: I contacted FTDNA and they responded saying that it appears to be a technical error of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                    X