X DNA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X DNA questions

1) How did I see how much X DNA I share with a match?

2) Is there an interactive website or program to help you figure out how you are related?

3) Are there any digital or print family trees that trace the X line?

Originally posted by Serket View Post
    While in your list of Family Finder matches, click the check box for the particular match that you wish to compare. Then click on "Chromosome Browser," at the top of the list. This will open a new tab in your browser. In this tab with the Chromosome Browser, click on "View this data in a table," and it will open a pop up window to show all the segments where this person matches you. The X chromosome is last.

2) Is there an interactive website or program to help you figure out how you are related?
    Aside from the estimated relationship that FTDNA shows with each match, you could note the total cM shared and then see where it fits in using either:
    These will give you a range of possible relationships.
    3) Are there any digital or print family trees that trace the X line?
    Blaine Bettinger also has a page with links to some X chromosome inheritance charts. You can use them to fill in your ancestors, and see the ones who passed on the X chromosome to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Serket View Post

If matchlist lists person as an X match
      As mentioned use the chromosome browser, but note by default only segments 5cM or greater are shown.
      To see segments under 5cM (which have a high likely hood of being false/Identical by State segments vs true/Identical by Descent) you will have to adjust the cM size dropdown menu or use the "Download to Excel (CSV)" or "View this data in a Table" links

Comment

Working...
      X