X match with a known cousin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X match with a known cousin

I'm hoping people can toss some ideas around, as I've run into an odd X match.

One of my known cousins (2nd cousin, 2x removed) through my mother showed up in my matches with an X match, but it's sort of small and the ancestors I know about for her line don't match up with my current knowledge of X inheritance. We can't share segments on the X chromosome through this line unless I'm completely misunderstanding things, so it seems there would need to be some other link through a different line of ancestors I don't currently know about – or maybe it's a potential false match for the X chromosome?

Common Ancestor > Son 1 > Son > Son > Daughter > Me
    Common Ancestor > Son 3 > Son > Her
    X: she shares 4.26 cM with me, and 4.89 cM with my mother

I have a similar situation with a 2nd cousin once removed. I X-match her even though I don't X-match her father who is my 2nd cousin. Her relation to me also passes through two males in succession so she can't be matching me on the X through our recent common ancestors.

I don't have the specifics, but I think her parents stayed in the same small town where my my great grandparents used to live. One of our ancestors born in the early 1800's had a huge family and a few of his kids went to this small town and also had big families. It wouldn't surprise me if half the people in town were descended from this original patriarch.

So my guess is that my 2nd cousin and his wife are probably related like 4th cousins or something. That might be something similar to what you have with your X-match.

Comment

Originally posted by Dabney Carr View Post
      I don't have the specifics, but I think her parents stayed in the same small town where my my great grandparents used to live. One of our ancestors born in the early 1800's had a huge family and a few of his kids went to this small town and also had big families. It wouldn't surprise me if half the people in town were descended from this original patriarch.
      And if that's the same kind of link for my X-match, it feels like quite the needle-in-the-haystack search. But it would be interesting to figure out if my cousin and I share a segment on the X chromosome from somewhere along the lines of our X-inheritance. It's such a small amount though, I'm not sure if I want to spend time trying to track down where it originated. On the other hand, I do love a mystery.

Comment

Working...
      X