X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X confusion - Me too

Hi

First time on Forum.

I understand the X is the female chromosome. I am female and have inherited an X from both my mother and father. I understand my male cousins are XY, having inherited an X from their mother and a Y from their father. All is OK up to here.

If I have an X Match with a male cousin I also understand the match must be on his maternal side and that helps in refining/defining our family connection. But if I have an X Match with a female cousin, am I correct it gives me no additional information as the X could come from either her mother or father? We are no wiser?

What are the benefits female to female? Obviously I am lacking knowledge in this area and would appreciate a simple explanation - if there is one.

Cheers
    Frangipanni

Your understanding is correct. Your opinion that the interpretation of X matches between two females is difficult is sound as well. You can use the various charts that highlight the ancestors from whom each of you could have inherited an X, but there's no guarantee both pedigrees will be deep enough and accurate enough to find the common ancestor. You may be able to find other matches who triangulate on the same segment, and that could help you narrow the possibilities. Like other genetic information, an X match may help you rule out some possibilities, but it is just one piece of evidence that you have to reconcile with all the other evidence (including paper trail) that you have gathered.

Comment

Also note that FTDNA lists someone as an X match even if they share 1cM/500SNPs on the X chromosomes. Segments smaller then 7cM tend to be false. (more so with a female to female comparison)

Comment

X confusion - Me too

Thank you for your speedy responses. It give me relief to think I have the beginning of an understanding

It also gives me relief to know that there is this friendly Forum available.

Cheers

Frangipanni/Australia

Comment

Working...
        X