Two new X-matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new X-matches

I noticed two of my recent autosomal matches also have X-match attached. I'm too dumb to figure out segment matching. Anyway, one of them gives no information at all, while the other seems to be from South Africa. Most surnames look UK in origin. One German, and one Austrian. And one from Tasmania! There are 4 pages of in-common-with, with many seemingly Scandinavian. Talk about confusing!

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
    I noticed two of my recent autosomal matches also have X-match attached. I'm too dumb to figure out segment matching. Anyway, one of them gives no information at all, while the other seems to be from South Africa. Most surnames look UK in origin. One German, and one Austrian. And one from Tasmania! There are 4 pages of in-common-with, with many seemingly Scandinavian. Talk about confusing!

Family Tree DNA gives X match lists of people who do not qualify as an X match based on their low cM threshold. Most of your X matches are likely to be false unless you raise the threshold above 10 cM or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Johnston View Post
      Family Tree DNA gives X match lists of people who do not qualify as an X match based on their low cM threshold. Most of your X matches are likely to be false unless you raise the threshold above 10 cM or so.
      Yes, the X inheritance paths are not of special importance for matches with small shared X segments. But of course the persons are still as true autosomal matches as FF matches usually are.

Comment

I was just browsing some of my pages of FF matches, and bumped into this South-African match again (FF + X-match). She gives a list of surnames with geographical origins, which is very helpful. It looks to me that my connection is via a grandfather (or etc.) from Austria. He married a woman in Bavaria. I have very few matches that I can confidently say go back to Austria (my maternal grandfather). So this match is significant.

Comment

I was just browsing some of my pages of FF matches, and bumped into this South-African match again (FF + X-match). She gives a list of surnames with geographical origins, which is very helpful. It looks to me that my connection is via a grandfather (or etc.) from Austria. He married a woman in Bavaria. I have very few matches that I can confidently say go back to Austria (my maternal grandfather). So this match is significant.
          On second thought, looking at it closer, the common ancestor may be from England. There is a page and a half of "in common with" matches. And the most probable are from England. Oh well...

Comment

I see another New Zealand match in my latest FF batch, this one is also an X-match. Either there are some tax-evading expats moving to New Zealand from the USA or there is another common ancestor back in merry ole England.

Comment

I see another New Zealand match in my latest FF batch, this one is also an X-match. Either there are some tax-evading expats moving to New Zealand from the USA or there is another common ancestor back in merry ole England.
              When I put the cursor over the "X", it shows "not a match". So what is that supposed to mean? She is still a FF match apparently. She gave R-M269 as Y-DNA, which I suppose would be her father.

Comment

Working...
              X