Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hi guys,

I've got a new X match 18.2cMs. He has the same surname of my mother's family. However, I don't match in any chromosome more.

Is he my genetic cousin?

Thanks in advance.

Natan

Originally posted by winner View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got a new X match 18.2cMs. He has the same surname of my mother's family. However, I don't match in any chromosome more.

Is he my genetic cousin?

Thanks in advance.

Natan
    Yes, you are related, but the relationship could be farther back than 3rd cousins. A close surname match may not be correct because you need to go back to a previous generation. You will need to share a gr-gr-gr grandparent or further back on the X chromosome tree. There can not be two males (father to son) in a row so that could rule out the surname of your mother.
    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Johnston View Post
      Yes, you are related, but the relationship could be farther back than 3rd cousins. A close surname match may not be correct because you need to go back to a previous generation. You will need to share a gr-gr-gr grandparent or further back on the X chromosome tree. There can not be two males (father to son) in a row so that could rule out the surname of your mother.
      Kathy
      Thanks a lot, Kathy. We are Brazilians and have surname Oliveira.

Comment

Working...
      X