Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x match 8cM

Hi

A kit that I manage, a female has an x match with a male of 8cm only in length. Total autosomal DNA is 80 cM, one segment of 40 cM, and another of 20 cM. Is the X DNA enough to discount the male's paternal side, and the female's paternal grandfather's side as being possible genetic cousins?

Thanks

James

Any thoughts about whether they could be related more than one way? 8.0 CM is a strong X-DNA match so you can rule out certain paths like you say, but it does not rule out the chance of being related another way. Do you have bands of full matches mixed in with the long segments?

I assume you are using default parameters.

Comment

With the match on X chromosome, you got information about a likely genetic link in the lines that share X chromosome.

You got no information about genetic relationship to the other lines, since they did not contribute to the X chromosome (neither yes, nor no). Like georgian1950 wrote above.

By the way, 8 cM is not a large segment, so it could be coming from a distant relationship.

W. (Mr.)
      Last edited by dna; 26 May 2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply

It is a actually a Gedmatch match, one other segment of 7 cM, the rest are small segments, they are all different chromosomes. There are a couple of kits on Gedmatch with overlapping segments, nil on FTDNA. I have yet to check if there are any other kits that overlap on the X chromosome though.

James

Comment

Nice post.

Comment

Working...
          X