Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Makeup.

Hi,
    can please someone tell me how much of my ethnic makeup is due to the 22 autosomal chromosomes and how much to the X chromosome? Thanks a lot.

Your ethnicity is what your grandparents gave to your parents. And not what your DNA is .

If those whose DNA you have are not the same that took care of you, your ethnicity would be determined by them not by your DNA.

If you are a typical Swedish blonde and you are brought up in Austria, not many people would even think that you are not from there.

If your biological parents were Romanian, but you were brought up as let's say a Spanish or an Italian person, many would not notice that you are not from there.

Janissaries in the Ottoman Empire were not the first generation ethnic Turks, similarly the Mamluk military caste in medieval Egypt.

In modern times in Europe, there was Kidnapping of children by Nazi Germany, and after the WWII the estimates are that "Only 10 to 15 percent of those abducted returned to their homes".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapp...y_Nazi_Germany

W. (Mr.)

Comment

If you are asking which chromosomes are more important for the way you look, I do not know the answer to that question.

Maybe someone who knows more would answer here.

The topic is being researched, but if you read around, it is not even sometimes clear whether we have the full knowledge on genes responsible for red hair or blue eyes.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Sorry but I was referring to the percentage of ethnic makeup shown in "my Origins" in the test results of Family Finder.
        From where that percentage comes? From the 22 autosomal chromosomes or from the X chromosome? or from both?
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JAG View Post
          Sorry but I was referring to the percentage of ethnic makeup shown in "my Origins" in the test results of Family Finder.
          From where that percentage comes? From the 22 autosomal chromosomes or from the X chromosome? or from both?
          Thanks.
          Autosomal chromosomes only.

However, myOrigins results might not be what you expect. Not only for the reasons I had explained earlier, but also because it uses reference populations that are at least 1000 years old and your population could have moved to a significantly different location after that.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Thanks Mr W.
            In fact the second highest percentage of my European component (21% of a total of 85%) comes from the only part of Europe which does not appear to me to have ancestors: the British Isles.
            Another case of "red hair or blue eyes"?

Comment

Thanks Mr W.
              In fact the second highest percentage of my European component (21% of a total of 85%) comes from the only part of Europe which does not appear to me to have ancestors: the British Isles.
              Another case of "red hair or blue eyes"?
              When looking at such results, it could be both ways
              • a part of your population some time ago went to the British Isles;
              • a group from the British Isles mixed with a population at some other location.

Mr. W.

Comment

Thanks Mr W.
                Now I found GEDmatch for the analysis of the 22 autosomal chromosomes' ethnic makeup.
                Can you please tell me who can do the same for the X chromosome? I would need that for genealogical researches.

Comment

Thanks Mr W.
                  Now I found GEDmatch for the analysis of the 22 autosomal chromosomes' ethnic makeup.
                  Can you please tell me who can do the same for the X chromosome? I would need that for genealogical researches.
                  I am sorry, but I am not familiar with GEDmatch.

On the other hand, I read at http://www.isogg.org/wiki/X-chromosome_testing that
                  Gedmatch provides a free tool for the comparison of X-chromosome data
                  Mr. W.

Comment

Gedmatch.com is a useful tool which can analyse both autosomal data and the X-chromosome.

Comment

Thanks Mr W. & LynCra, but here is the answer:
                      http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...f-X-Chromosome
                      So, I think and for the moment, no tool is available to show Admixture (heritage) on chromosome X.

Comment

Thanks Mr W. & LynCra, but here is the answer:
                        http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...f-X-Chromosome
                        So, I think and for the moment, no tool is available to show Admixture (heritage) on chromosome X.
                        That is from 3 years ago?

Comment

But today, can you please suggest any URL?
                          Maybe i am not so good to search in internet but I can not find one, GEDmatch included.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Prehistoric economies were driven by factors more complex than the trade of commodities.

Comment

X chromosome and indications of ancestry

This will not answer the original poster's question, but might help others when considering the X chromosome:

When using Countries of Ancestry on 23 and Me, I can see indications of Scandinavian and Finnish ancestry, and that includes segments found on my X chromosome (I am a man). That makes sense as my great-grandmother immigrated from an area of Sweden settled by ethnic Finns. A good part of one of her X chromosomes must have come down to me, changed very little through this route: my great-grandmother > my grandfather > my mother > me.

Comment

Working...
                              X