Not 1 X match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not 1 X match

I just transferred my husband's raw data from Ancestry and although he has over 900 DNA matches, not one of them shows as an X match. Does that seem likely?

Originally posted by Renegade6008 View Post
    I just transferred my husband's raw data from Ancestry and although he has over 900 DNA matches, not one of them shows as an X match. Does that seem likely?
    Very much so.

As a male he has only one X.

To give you a couple of examples, I have looked up some of my family members.

One of my uncles matches only his sister. And she has 3 pages of X matches. To make it funnier, their nephew (son of their brother) is matching her = his aunt in X for 1.38 cM. And only her. And he should not..., we know that part of the tree very well So that is clearly IBS (identical by state) and not IBD (identical by descent).

I have another male tester who has 14 pages of matches, but no X matches.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
    As expected, close X matches follow mtDNA matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade6008 View Post
      I do not know how strict AncestryDNA is in defining X-matches, but Family Finder is very strict. I think I only have four or so with them. That is a bit odd because my mother has bunches of them. If you upload the kit to GEDmatch, they likely will give you some that the testing services might not.

X-matches are pretty interesting. If you have two males in a row, you lose the possibility for a connection. That allows you to eliminate lots of lines from consideration from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
        I do not know how strict AncestryDNA is in defining X-matches, but Family Finder is very strict. I think I only have four or so with them. That is a bit odd because my mother has bunches of them. If you upload the kit to GEDmatch, they likely will give you some that the testing services might not.

X-matches are pretty interesting. If you have two males in a row, you lose the possibility for a connection. That allows you to eliminate lots of lines from consideration from the start.
        Let me guess , you are a male, and one of your matches is (obviously ) your mother, so in practical terms you have only 3 matches. And if they are real matches, you mother should have them too.

All the time talking about X chromosome.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
        It has nothing to do with strict matching, but with the fact, that as a male, you have only one X.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
          Let me guess , you are a male, and one of your matches is (obviously ) your mother, so in practical terms you have only 3 matches. And if they are real matches, you mother should have them too.

All the time talking about X chromosome.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
          It has nothing to do with strict matching, but with the fact, that as a male, you have only one X.
          According to Family Finder, I have four matches and she has 82. You are right, one of mine is my mother and I am one of hers. Only one of my other X-matches Family Finder gives in common. I am related multiple ways to the other two, but my mother is related only one way, so FF puts them on my match list, but does not included the two on her match list.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
            According to Family Finder, I have four matches and she has 82. You are right, one of mine is my mother and I am one of hers. Only one of my other X-matches Family Finder gives in common. I am related multiple ways to the other two, but my mother is related only one way, so FF puts them on my match list, but does not included the two on her match list.
            A very good example of IBS. You got all of your X chromosome from your mother, so those two X matches you are seeing are false positives due to IBS.

However!

However, it does not mean anything about your autosomal DNA matching to those two individuals. As it happened, you are related to them, but that is a pure coincidence.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
              A very good example of IBS. You got all of your X chromosome from your mother, so those two X matches you are seeing are false positives due to IBS.

However!

However, it does not mean anything about your autosomal DNA matching to those two individuals. As it happened, you are related to them, but that is a pure coincidence.

W. (Mr.)
              No.

Comment

Another reason for so few X matches is that FTDNA only gives credit for an X if you also meet the regular autosomal minimums of 20 cM total, 7.7 cM Longest Block and 500 SNPs. (I think I got those numbers correct).

I am missing a couple of confirmed fourth cousins at FTDNA who have 35 to 50 cM of X DNA but are too low on the autosomal DNA.

I know about them because they also tested at 23andMe which has a simpler algorithm, and also posted at GedMatch.

So you might actually have some additional X DNA matches that FTDNA has declined to show. But they will show up at GedMatch or 23andMe if the results are also there.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Considering his entire father's side is eliminated, and his mother's side immigrated to the US in the late 1800s and the children were mostly male, I shouldn't have questioned the lack of X matches.

Comment

Working...
                  X