Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14.99 cm X Match

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14.99 cm X Match

    I have a 14.99 cm X Match with a female. I am also a female. Both my brother and I have a common match with her on Chromosome 9 of 10 c.m. but she doesn't appear as an X Match for my brother. How do I interpret this?

  • #2
    Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
    I have a 14.99 cm X Match with a female. I am also a female. Both my brother and I have a common match with her on Chromosome 9 of 10 c.m. but she doesn't appear as an X Match for my brother. How do I interpret this?
    Maybe she is related twice to you and once to your brother.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can rule out an X-match where there are two consecutive males in line as a man does not pass an X to his son. My suggestion would be that if you share an X-match with this person but your brother does not that it is probably a match on your father´s mother´s side.
      Last edited by LynCra; 4 February 2015, 11:14 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
        I have a 14.99 cm X Match with a female. I am also a female. Both my brother and I have a common match with her on Chromosome 9 of 10 c.m. but she doesn't appear as an X Match for my brother. How do I interpret this?
        You and your brother are related to this female on one side of the family and only you are related to her on another side of her family.
        I have a dna match to three people on one chromosome and two of them match on another by more than 10 cM in both cases. I wrote to them and was told that a mother and two children were related to me which showed in the one chromosome in the exact same region and that I was related to their father also.I matched two of them in the same place on the other chromosome which was the match to their father. I hope this helps.

        Comment


        • #5
          I disagree with 1798 here as this is an X-match issue. Perhaps someone else with more experience can weigh in to say if my interpretation is correct or not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LynCra View Post
            I disagree with 1798 here as this is an X-match issue. Perhaps someone else with more experience can weigh in to say if my interpretation is correct or not.
            You are wrong because a girl gets two Xs and a boy gets one so I understand how it works. I have matches that my son doesn't because he only got half of my dna.

            Comment


            • #7
              Can somebody else please offer an opinion here so that we do not give the original poster misleading information.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
                I have a 14.99 cm X Match with a female. I am also a female. Both my brother and I have a common match with her on Chromosome 9 of 10 c.m. but she doesn't appear as an X Match for my brother. How do I interpret this?
                Looks to me like it would be a match on your father's, mother's line. Your bother only gets an X from your mom.

                You get one from each mom and dad.

                If you both match on # 9 @ 10cm and you on one X the chances are as I said your father's mother's lines.

                now this is not in stone as the amounts are low and it could just be IBS not IBD.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
                  Looks to me like it would be a match on your father's, mother's line. Your bother only gets an X from your mom.

                  You get one from each mom and dad.

                  If you both match on # 9 @ 10cm and you on one X the chances are as I said your father's mother's lines.

                  now this is not in stone as the amounts are low and it could just be IBS not IBD.


                  Also I think you have to remember you and your bother may not have gotten the same X from your mom.
                  As she has 2 and they can recombine when passed

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I had hoped that this might take me to my father's mother's line but I can see that nothing is simple. I was struck that 14.99 cm on the X and 10 on Chromosome 9 could still be IBS rather than IBD. I hadn't anticipated that. Thanks to everyone that's joining in this discussion.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      One X match

                      I have one x match. I am male. And it shows up on the 23rd chromosome. I thought this was from my maternal side? If a male has an X match isn't it from his mothers side?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
                        I have a 14.99 cm X Match with a female. I am also a female. Both my brother and I have a common match with her on Chromosome 9 of 10 c.m. but she doesn't appear as an X Match for my brother. How do I interpret this?
                        Does your brother also match you along this segment of X? If so, he (brother) is matching you on your maternal X and match will be matching you on your paternal X.

                        For example in regards to X only.
                        you and your brother may have received this same segment of X from your one of your maternal grandparents. Neither one of you would have received this segment of X from your other maternal grandparent. You would then match this match along your paternal Grandmothers line of X inheritance.

                        If your brother does not match you along this segment of X, X match can be on either your paternal X or your maternal X.
                        As your Brother could of inherited segment of one of your mothers X's, while you inherited segment from her other X.
                        therefore X matching segment can come from either side.

                        As for the segment on Chromosome 9, this segment most likely will follow the same line down as the X matching segment, but each segment maybe from separate ancestors.

                        For example your line descends from one sibling, while match line descends from another sibling. Chr 9 segment may have come from these siblings paternal line, while X from their maternal line.

                        If your lines come from an endogamous populations possibility of multiple lines of descent increases.

                        Basically the only line you can currently eliminate, on this separate X segment, is your maternal line if your brother also matches you along this segment on the X chromosome.
                        Last edited by prairielad; 4 February 2015, 07:47 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
                          I had hoped that this might take me to my father's mother's line but I can see that nothing is simple. I was struck that 14.99 cm on the X and 10 on Chromosome 9 could still be IBS rather than IBD. I hadn't anticipated that. Thanks to everyone that's joining in this discussion.
                          You must not have a paper trail to this match or you would not be asking us about it. Most of my 700 matches are beyond my paper trail.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            With regard to the paper trail you are right. I am primarily concerned with discovering my paternal ancestry. If I could identify this Match as being from my paternal grandmother's line I could hopefully, by looking at her Triangulated group, which is a substantial one, go some way towards identifying the area of origin.

                            My brother has two segments that match me on the X Chromosome. One starts at 1370495 and ends at 10544538 (24.57) and the second starts at 31896351 and ends at 154570039 (140.66).
                            The match is right in the middle between these two with no overlap, from 20349825 to 31179523 (14.99).
                            However, On the X Chromosome on the Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer - DNA Gedcom, the Match has a pink brick which matches my brother's pink brick. Does the pink brick mean that my brother does match both me and the Match even though the segments are not in the same place?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hudsonh View Post
                              With regard to the paper trail you are right. I am primarily concerned with discovering my paternal ancestry. If I could identify this Match as being from my paternal grandmother's line I could hopefully, by looking at her Triangulated group, which is a substantial one, go some way towards identifying the area of origin.

                              My brother has two segments that match me on the X Chromosome. One starts at 1370495 and ends at 10544538 (24.57) and the second starts at 31896351 and ends at 154570039 (140.66).
                              The match is right in the middle between these two with no overlap, from 20349825 to 31179523 (14.99).
                              However, On the X Chromosome on the Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer - DNA Gedcom, the Match has a pink brick which matches my brother's pink brick. Does the pink brick mean that my brother does match both me and the Match even though the segments are not in the same place?
                              I can't answer that but I can say from looking at my matches that those who show up in colour in the same place on any chromosome are related to each other and to me. Most of those are more than 10cM. I also think that matching people in other smaller segments are not to be ignored either.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X