No announcement yet.

X Chromosome match observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to the top of the forum, check out the "Weekly" topic under Announcements and New Features.

Comment

Male Match

Is it unusual to have a male match, I am male, on the x chromosome, 10cms., and not have that match in any way reflected on my mother's results. In fact I only have five x chromosome matches, one with my mother, of the other four only one appears in my mother's results.

Comment

Yes if it is small in cM size. Some changes will probably occur in the FTDNA system over time to address this type of thing as they continue to take feedback and refine the X match system.

This is just as true for children having autosomal matches that neither parent has by the way.

Matt.

Comment

My daughter and I both have a match with the same suggested relationship of 2nd to 4th cousin. I don't have an X match with him but my daughter does. I don't fully understand the workings of the X chromosome matching yet but I would have thought we would have both matched him.

Comment

my x-matches are now showing. I have 6 pages of xmatches that are all female except 4 matches which are male. one of those males is my half brother on my maternal side. I am female.

I have looked at all my x matches in chromosome browser. My half brother and I share one 30 cm segment. my xmatch with the largest matching segment to myself is 5th - distant cousin, male, and we share 38cm's altogether on x including a 32cm segment that overlaps quite a bit on the same segment with my half brother. this match is not a common match with my half brother. what does this tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
              my x-matches are now showing. I have 6 pages of xmatches that are all female except 4 matches which are male. one of those males is my half brother on my maternal side. I am female.

I have looked at all my x matches in chromosome browser. My half brother and I share one 30 cm segment. my xmatch with the largest matching segment to myself is 5th - distant cousin, male, and we share 38cm's altogether on x including a 32cm segment that overlaps quite a bit on the same segment with my half brother. this match is not a common match with my half brother. what does this tell me?
              I was hoping your X matches would show up. Sounds like you are getting typical results for a female.

Unless your brother and this cousin download their raw data to a third party site you really can't assess the situation. You would need to compare your half-brother directly to this male cousin of yours. We don't know if your brother has a significant X match with this cousin because he is not matching enough on the autosomes to show up in the FTDNA chromosome browser. You could match this cousin on your father's side of the family but you have not ruled out your mother's side of the family.

Comment

X match at the centromere

Hello,
                I am a female and share a grandfather with a woman across the country. She and I share a female mystery 1st-2nd cousin.

My known first half-cousin and I should not share any match on the X, but we show a small amount at the centromere.

My mystery cousin shares nearly the exact amount on the X as my known cousin.
                Both begin at 52876126, one ends at 65730685 and the other ends at 66944947. At this time we know that somehow, we match on our common grandfather's side.

How can I possibly match/show these ladies on the X?
                Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by suzanneMADGAG View Post
                  Hello,
                  I am a female and share a grandfather with a woman across the country. She and I share a female mystery 1st-2nd cousin.

My known first half-cousin and I should not share any match on the X, but we show a small amount at the centromere.

My mystery cousin shares nearly the exact amount on the X as my known cousin.
                  Both begin at 52876126, one ends at 65730685 and the other ends at 66944947. At this time we know that somehow, we match on our common grandfather's side.

How can I possibly match/show these ladies on the X?

Thank you
                  Is this your maternal grandfather? Paternal grandfather would not work.
                  How long is the segment in cM? I bet the segment is too small to be significant.
                  Kathy

Comment

Working...
                  X