F-M89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-M89

I would appreciate it if someone could shed any light on my ' Y backbone' results.

After being informed that a haplogroup prediction was not possible from my STRs, a backbone test was carried out and this resulted in F-M89. How generic or general is this and does it mean very much?

When I processed my Y37 STRs through 'Athey', I received a result of J1 (> 80% probability).

Which is the more accurate, given that my family history records indicate a paternal ancestor origin of Holland/Germany in the 1700s (and I would have expected an R of some sort)? However there are a few Js in a Dutch dataset that I have seen, but no F.

Do a Google search for 'F-M89', 'ISOGG F-M89' and 'FTDNA Haplogroup F'.

Comment

F-M89 is extremely basal. J, as in J-M304, is a few levels below. Haplotree | FamilyTreeDNA
      You are not getting much of an estimate with F-M89

You should look into the BigY while it's on sale and get the real terminal haplotype.

Since you already know that FTDNA is having problems predicting a haplotype, you might not get a lot of individual matches. If individual matches are important to you, the $400 or so for a BigY might seem excessive.

If you are more interested in the haplotype, you could gamble and order a SNP Pack for J for $100 to $120. Another option would be to test at 23andMe, since they usually (not always) report decent haplotypes.

Comment

Thank you mabrams, for your helpful comments.

Comment

Hi Folks,

I received an update on my backbone test from FTDNA showing a refined haplogroup of H-L901. However when I joined he F-YDNA Project Group, I was grouped under J. I am now slighty confused! Do these classifications therefore mean anything, or is mine so rare as to be indeterminable ?

Comment

I was studying Haplogroups .. F- - GHIJK - -HIJK - - IJK - -& K. According to Wikipedia, I had NO SNP's for GHIJK, and only ONE SNP for HIJK. Soooo, how can I go from F to HIJK, if I'm not GHIJK!!!

Comment

Have you done any Y-DNA tests? If you have, what haplogroup were you given? GHIJK, HIJK, IJK are not modern haplogroups. According to Wikipedia, "GHIJK is the major clade of Haplogroup F (F-M89). It branches subsequently into two direct descendants: Haplogroup G (M201/PF2957) and Haplogroup HIJK (F929/M578/PF3494/S6397). The other haplotypes of Haplogroup F are F1, F2, and F3.
              Subclades of GHIJK, under the HIJK lineage, include: H (L901/M2939) and IJK (F-L15). The downstream descendants of Haplogroup IJK include the major haplogroups I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S and T."

You will be in F or some haplogroup under it. See https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

Comment

I just went and looked at YFULL, they had "F1329" and I have it as well. So I back at GHIJK. THANKS
                htb

Comment

@KMC H-L901 is still very basic. 37,000 years old. Did you test at 37 markers or higher? Not sure why they would put you in Haplogroup J, although you said the Athey predictor did so as well.

H-L901 is not "so rare as to be indeterminable". There are almost 1000 men in FTDNA's under H-L901 but that number id divided up under many subclades and at that point, FTDNA is not willing to predict anymore. Y37 is a STR test, not a SNP test.

If you want a deeper SNP level, then you need to take a SNP test, like BigY700, or a SNP Pack or 23andMe.

You could also try NevGen, which might be able to predict beyond H-L901.

If you have Raw Data from AncestryDNA, you could try the YSeq predictor.

Comment

Originally posted by KMC1 View Post
                    Hi Folks,

I received an update on my backbone test from FTDNA showing a refined haplogroup of H-L901. However when I joined he F-YDNA Project Group, I was grouped under J. I am now slighty confused! Do these classifications therefore mean anything, or is mine so rare as to be indeterminable ?
                    KMC1, there is a Haplogroup called GHIJK, then G - - HIJK, Then IJK, then IJ - K. K had M-N-O-P-S, I think maybe LT as well. ANYWAY, These Haplogroups are ALL related. YOU ARE GOING TO SHARE SOME SNP's WITH ALL OF THEM. ...... I am now on Project F-M89 as R1b #290905.
                    htb

Comment

Working...
                    X