F-M89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-M89

I would appreciate it if someone could shed any light on my ' Y backbone' results.

After being informed that a haplogroup prediction was not possible from my STRs, a backbone test was carried out and this resulted in F-M89. How generic or general is this and does it mean very much?

When I processed my Y37 STRs through 'Athey', I received a result of J1 (> 80% probability).

Which is the more accurate, given that my family history records indicate a paternal ancestor origin of Holland/Germany in the 1700s (and I would have expected an R of some sort)? However there are a few Js in a Dutch dataset that I have seen, but no F.

Do a Google search for 'F-M89', 'ISOGG F-M89' and 'FTDNA Haplogroup F'.

Comment

F-M89 is extremely basal. J, as in J-M304, is a few levels below. Haplotree | FamilyTreeDNA
      You are not getting much of an estimate with F-M89

You should look into the BigY while it's on sale and get the real terminal haplotype.

Since you already know that FTDNA is having problems predicting a haplotype, you might not get a lot of individual matches. If individual matches are important to you, the $400 or so for a BigY might seem excessive.

If you are more interested in the haplotype, you could gamble and order a SNP Pack for J for $100 to $120. Another option would be to test at 23andMe, since they usually (not always) report decent haplotypes.

Comment

Thank you mabrams, for your helpful comments.

Comment

Working...
        X