Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Y-111 Haplogroup More Trustworthy Than 23&Me Result?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Y-111 Haplogroup More Trustworthy Than 23&Me Result?

I got my Y-111 report with 0 match. After weeks of reviewing, FTDNA says my haplogroup is N-M231, which is the root of N haplogroup. I had 23andme and ancestry.com tests previously, both gives me a more specific haplogroup.

Is Y-111 more trustworthy? Or will it give me more information once I have some matches? Otherwise why are people paying more for Y-DNA test while can get better result as a byproduct of other tests?

Thank you for any comments.

Here is some information :

https://dna-explained.com/2014/03/24...a-and-23andme/

https://dna-explained.com/2020/01/27...ionary-of-dna/

Comment

Originally posted by S.X. View Post
      I had 23andme and ancestry.com tests previously, both gives me a more specific haplogroup.
      Both?
      What haplogroup did ancestry.com gave you?

Comment

Originally posted by gattaca View Post

Both?
        What haplogroup did ancestry.com gave you?
        It has been a while I remember it wrong, ancestry.com didn't give me the haplogroup result, I used 3rd party websites to get the haplogroup from the raw data, one of the websites is morleydna.com, which reports N1c1a1a1a~1. I was expecting Y-111 would give me something like that or better.

Comment

FTDNA gives a predicted Haplogroup only and it is based on your Y-DNA12 results. To get a better Haplogroup from FTDNA you must order SNP test. Order SNP Packs or BigY. 23andMe's Haplogroup is based on SNP values. FTDNA's predicted Haplogroup is based on the Haplogroups of your Y STR matches.

You can still see the Haplogroup Ancestry reported for you by signing into Ancestry, clicking on DNA and selecting Y-DNA and mtDNA Tests from the drop down list.

Comment

Working...
          X