Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why upgrade beyond Y-37 when my 4 testers only match one another?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why upgrade beyond Y-37 when my 4 testers only match one another?

I first started testing a small group of 4 known "JOHNSON" cousins several years ago. To this day, they only match one another (at a Y-37 level) among a huge JOHNSON Y DNA project of about 2000 testers. I'd like a list of compelling reasons to upgrade, at least one of my testers, to Y-67 or Y-111 with the hope of securing a few more matches. I'm finding all other JOHNSON testers (or any other prevalent surname) are washing out after Y-12, so I'm just wondering if the deviations are ALL occurring in the lower tiers. Please advise, and THANK YOU!

Sure doesn't sound like there's a compelling reason to upgrade, as you can already see that there aren't any really close matches in the Johnson project. But why not upgrade just one for now, to try to get a better idea where your particular Johnson fits into the haplotree? Johnson is a patronymic surname, so it is logical that there might be men with other surnames who are connected with your lineage but who now have different surnames. Have you spotted any close matches who are not Johnsons? Depending how far back the switch from patronymic naming to "modern", stable surnames occurred in your family, non-Johnson close matches might actually be informative, about the population that your family comes from.

Comment

It is possible that there are recLOH mutations, which can throw STR matching out the window as that single change can get counted as too many steps at all levels above Y-12. A haplogroup admin would be able to help you determine if this is the situation in your case or not. If that is the case, then SNP testing is how you have to find out which group has the STR values from before the recLOH event and find those more distant matches. The family finder test could help point at which group as well if they are close enough in time and not related in some other way. I have seen questions asked in haplogroup projects about why someone doesn't have many matches, or who they are related to. Some have been told the right people just haven't tested yet, while others have been told that their are these mutations so their only option is to go to the largest (Big-Y) test to figure out where in the tree they fit due to not being able to make an informed guess as to which branch they belong to. But getting advice from a haplogroup admin would be best in helping you to determine a reason for sure as to why matches are washing out after Y-12.

Comment

Remember, with a very popular name that is also a patronymic, there's no reason to expect all, or even many, of the Johnsons will cluster together, within a single surname project. Another way of saying this, the surname Johnson has undoubtedly arisen (as a patronymic) thousands of time, in unrelated families. You might want to consider how many in the Johnson project actually fall into a well-defined cluster, and how many such clusters there are within the project. Then compare with, say, the Buchanan project, where a huge number apparently form a single cluster and have a common origin.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          . Have you spotted any close matches who are not Johnsons?
          No, there are no other non-Johnson surnames above the Y-12 level, which boggles. Given this is a very early American family, one would assume that there'd be many testers downstream from a colonial patriarch of any surname. The only other reappearing surname also washes out above Y-12, and that surname (Whiteside) only occurs in 2 or the 4 testers due to a 1-step mutation between my Johnson cousin testers.

Comment

If nothing else, by upgrading at least one of the kits, you may be able to prove that your family is truly unique, not related in genealogical time to any other that has been tested!

Comment

Working...
            X