J1 - M267v3 SNP Pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 - M267v3 SNP Pack

Will this test lead to a more specific haplogroup?

Without more information from you, there is no way to provide a good answer to your question. What DNA testing have you done? Where was it done? Do you already have a Haplogroup? Is it from SNP testing or predicted?

Comment

Hi Jim, Did ftdna Y-DNA67 test. Got a haplogroup. Subsequently ftdna offers me a snp pack specifically for that haplogroup.

Get 176 SNPs related to M267 for only $99!
      • Remove the guess work. Save money!
      • Test 176 SNPs related to M267.
      • 176 total SNPs including M267.

Not sure what I can do with those SNP's. But I would be interested if my haplogroup is narrowed down. I used a program to distill a haplogroup from my ancestry raw data. And that came back with L-816 but would prefer a more "official" narrowing down with my ftdna test.

Kind regards,
      Bas
      Last edited by Triodefreak; 8th March 2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

When you got your Y-DNA67 I assume you got a predicted Haplogroup of J-M269. J-L816 is down stream of J-M269, you can see this by going to your "Haplotree & SNPs" section of your Y-DNA results. L816 is one of the SNPs included in the J1-M267v3 SNP Pack. The SNP Pack may include other SNPs that are down stream L816 that you might test positive for.

I believe you have two options.

1. Order the J1-M267v3 SNP Pack. When yo u get your results FTDNA will probably suggest another SNP Pack you can order to test for SNPs down stream form your results of the first SNP Pack. You can repeat this process until FTDNA stops suggesting SNP Packs.

2. Order Big Y-700.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          When you got your Y-DNA67 I assume you got a predicted Haplogroup of J-M269. J-L816 is down stream of J-M269, you can see this by going to your "Haplotree & SNPs" section of your Y-DNA results. L816 is one of the SNPs included in the J1-M267v3 SNP Pack. The SNP Pack may include other SNPs that are down stream L816 that you might test positive for.

I believe you have two options.

1. Order the J1-M267v3 SNP Pack. When yo u get your results FTDNA will probably suggest another SNP Pack you can order to test for SNPs down stream form your results of the first SNP Pack. You can repeat this process until FTDNA stops suggesting SNP Packs.

2. Order Big Y-700.
          Option three is get a Y111 test done, while it isn't likely to be particularly useful in further refining the terminal SNP prediction, the cost of the Y111 test will be reflected in a price reduction for the BigY once he chooses to pursue it. SNP Packs have no benefit when it comes to the BigY and testing discounts.

Option 4 is join a haplogroup project and see if the admins might be able to predict a deeper subclade so he can skip the "backbone" tier and just go straight to one of the deeper SNP Packs.

Comment

Thanks Jim and bartarl260.

Comment

Working...
            X