M343 SNP BackBone test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M343 SNP BackBone test

I have a question. Can a FTDNA member that is R- M269 with a Y-37 test take just a M343 SNP BackBone test without upgrading to Y-67 or Y-111 ?
    This is how the kit is ranked in the colorized SNP spreadsheet.
    Unmatched - R1b1a2 - Recommend M343 SNP Pack or Big Y to determine haplogroup

What does the M343 test cost to take ?

If it is "downstream" of their currently predicted SNP for you, and it also available for testing, you can order it.

Haven't checked recent pricing, but the going rate has generally been $40 per single SNP test, or $120 for a "backbone" test which will test a few dozen SNPs. BigY is the best all around option, but a backbone test is a close second. Testing terminal SNPs beyond the backbone's reach gets dodgy unless you have a solid reason to suspect you are on that line.

More generally that's probably best reserved for trying to cheaply confirm relatedness for close 67+ STR matches where at least one person has BigY tested. And even then, a 111STR test would probably be a better start point unless you're dealing with very old SNPs.

Comment

Originally posted by McBlzr View Post
      I have a question. Can a FTDNA member that is R- M269 with a Y-37 test take just a M343 SNP BackBone test without upgrading to Y-67 or Y-111 ?
      This is how the kit is ranked in the colorized SNP spreadsheet.
      Unmatched - R1b1a2 - Recommend M343 SNP Pack or Big Y to determine haplogroup

What does the M343 test cost to take ?
      A person with any level of Y-DNA test can order the R1b - m343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack. It cost $99 US.

Comment

Thanks for these two responses.

Comment

McBlzr did you opt to do the SNP test? Have your results come in yet and if so how long did it take? I have recently ordered the same SNP pack.

Comment

@masterpeve It took about 2 & 1/2 weeks for my friend. It just posted today Friday 4-19-2019.

Comment

@masterpeve It took about 2 & 1/2 weeks for my friend. It just posted today Friday 4-19-2019.
              Mine just came in yesterday as well. Here's to happy researching for us both!

Comment

@masterpeve , What was your confirmed Y-Haplogroup ? My friend was R-Z253. I was R-S14328 when I did it a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bartarl260 View Post
                  If it is "downstream" of their currently predicted SNP for you, and it also available for testing, you can order it.

Haven't checked recent pricing, but the going rate has generally been $40 per single SNP test, or $120 for a "backbone" test which will test a few dozen SNPs. BigY is the best all around option, but a backbone test is a close second. Testing terminal SNPs beyond the backbone's reach gets dodgy unless you have a solid reason to suspect you are on that line.

More generally that's probably best reserved for trying to cheaply confirm relatedness for close 67+ STR matches where at least one person has BigY tested. And even then, a 111STR test would probably be a better start point unless you're dealing with very old SNPs.
                  SNP packs can test 150 SNPs at a time. Some are higher most are lower than 150. The backbone SNP pack provides a feeder into other 2nd level SNP packs within the R1b region. Your real cost now becomes at least 2 SNP packs. Those SNP packs were created based upon results from 1-5 years ago. Due to the limitation on the number of SNPs that can go into a pack and those that the technology has problems with there are branches which are not covered. With the significant increase in Y500 and now Y700 results the majority of the packs are woefully out of date and may leave a tester at a haplogroup level that can be several thousand years old. Going with a Y700 test is just the best long term solution to establish a reference for the paternal line both as to its position in the haplogroup tree and to the branching within genealogical time.

Instead of SNP packs and individual SNPs where you will drop $200+ just take your time and save up for a more complete test such as the Y700 or a whole genome.

Comment

@masterpeve , What was your confirmed Y-Haplogroup ? My friend was R-Z253. I was R-S14328 when I did it a few years ago.
                    Hi McBlzr. Mine is R-Z3000.

Comment

Working...
                    X