X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname

Hi all,

Y-dna 37

How do I contact someone in the database with same surname as myself? They do not show up as matches which I suppose proves we do not have a common male ancestor which is important and surprising to me.

A search on my surname only reveals three individuals, myself being one

DJDave

If your surname in question has a surname project, join project and post in their Activity Feed if they have one enabled.

Other then that you will have to contact admins of said project and see if they are willing to forward a message to kit in question (another member of project).
    It is then up to admin of project to be willing, and then kit holder to contact you (admin can not give you kit holders contact info)

There is no direct way to contact others that do not match you
    Last edited by prairielad; 12th February 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately there isn't a project for my surname. I could start one of course but I am a bit reluctant as very new to this and don't know the ropes. Although I have being researching family tree since before internet made things a great deal easier.

I can trace my direct line back to 1684 and tentatively to 1592. some 11 generations. I know of 6 other lines that do not join this line after that year but I believe probably have a common root, how many generations can you go back and expect a 12, 25, 32 match?

Comment

Originally posted by DJDave View Post
        Thanks, unfortunately there isn't a project for my surname. I could start one of course but I am a bit reluctant as very new to this and don't know the ropes. Although I have being researching family tree since before internet made things a great deal easier.

I can trace my direct line back to 1684 and tentatively to 1592. some 11 generations. I know of 6 other lines that do not join this line after that year but I believe probably have a common root, how many generations can you go back and expect a 12, 25, 32 match?
        IIRC, there are surname projects that have gone even further back. But at that distance, you're really wanting to be looking at 67, 111 STR markers or even SNP testing to figure things out. For "genealogical purposes" 37 Markers is considered the starting point. Anything less and you're looking at a relationship that would likely predate a paper trail Which seems to be about where your paper trail already is.

Comment

Originally posted by DJDave View Post

Take a look at the Guild of One-Name Studies https://one-Name.org maybe you can start a study and they can help you set up a DNA project

Comment

Working...
          X