R-M69 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-M69 question

My predicted Haplogroup is R-M269. A very common haplotype. When I click on the "more" button, I get the following:

CTS12478
    PF6500
    PF6494
    PF6495
    PF6507
    PF6509
    PF6520
    PF6469
    PF6470
    PF6477
    PF6479
    L500
    PF6409
    PF6411
    CTS623
    L773
    PF6425
    L482
    PF6430
    L265
    PF6432
    PF6434
    PF6438
    PF6443
    CTS2664
    CTS3575
    L150
    PF6265
    L407
    CTS10834
    s10
    s3
    YSC0000294
    YSC0000194
    YSC0000203
    YSC0000213
    YSC0000219
    YSC0000225
    F1794
    CTS8728
    L483

What is this? Are these references downstream of RM269?

"More" is a list of SNPs that are equivalent to the SNP in question.
    In regards to the R-269 branch, above listed are some of the alternative SNP names for that branch, all these SNPs are associated with this branch of tree

M269 being the official SNP to name that subclade branch of R tree
    Last edited by prairielad; 14th October 2018, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks, prairielad. But where do I get my "full" sublcade designations? On the predicted Haplogroup page, there are the following references:

green = tested positive
      red = tested negative
      gold = presumed positive
      blue = downstream
      black = presumed negative
      orange = test in progress

... but then there are a jillion haplotypes below the (gold) R-M269 marker. Just wondering why I can't get an "easy" read on the subclasses below the R-M269 branch.

Comment

To get the full haplogroup and subclade, you need to do the Big Y test. That is the test that finds the SNPs that you are positive for and negative for out of those jillion haplotypes. It also can find new ones that you have but nobody else that has tested has yet. R-M269 is a big branch of the tree, close to the trunk so the full designation to the tiny twigs at the end becomes difficult to say other than to be a prediction of what known SNP you should test positive for since it depends on how many STRs you had tested and how many other close members have tested. Sometimes STR results are close between two different SNP branches and even group project administrators who are well versed in the results are not sure which of the two sub clades you belong to. Save up and make it a Christmas present to yourself to add the Big Y test and find out your full sub clade designation.

Comment

you will need to do yDNA SNP testing in order to find your full haplogroup subclade placement.
          ie) Single yDNA SNP test, yDNA SNP pack, or Big Y

Join your haplogroup and surname projects and talk with the Admins before ordering yDNA SNP tests.
          They can advice you on the best route to take based on how you match up with others in project.
          It may be a simple as a single SNP test for $39USD or require you order the BigY, depending on other that have done yDNA SNP testing in your projects.

I was lucky enough that all I had to do was order a single SNP test to confirm furthers known subclade branch for my haplogroup due to other members which I match that have done the BigY

As mentioned first talk with your Haplogroup and or Surname group admins.

Comment

bhemph and prairielad Thanks for the great advice. Actually, I did join my surname project, but don't feel like I learned anything - at all. Or at least don't know how to access my results - or ask the right questions about same.

Comment

Originally posted by mjclayton31 View Post
              Actually, I did join my surname project, but don't feel like I learned anything - at all. Or at least don't know how to access my results - or ask the right questions about same.
              When you sign into you kit look for the list of projects in the left hand column. Click on the project name of interest. This should take you to the project's website.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                When you sign into you kit look for the list of projects in the left hand column. Click on the project name of interest. This should take you to the project's website.
                Thanks, Jim. I joined the surname group at the end of last year. There are only minimal kits in "Group 1" of the Project, mine being one of them. No major conclusions drawn. We're all trying to figure out how our family surname(s) crossed the Pond. I only can verify my 4x great-grandfather to 1804 in the States.

When prompted, one of the Project Administrators previously stated this:

"I don't know FTDNA's matching algorithm for Y STR tests, but the project groups are determined based on what it considers matches. In term of genealogy, most of the Group 1 testers appear to be offshoots from the ________(family surname) living in the region around Spartanburg Co., SC in the late 1700s, and may descend from earlier branches in central VA and eastern England. However, piecing together those family relationships remains a bit of a challenge, since there is not much primary source documentation to go on."

Not his fault (in the least), but I guess I expected more. My closest match in the Y-111 test is at a genetic distance of 1 (with 4 more at a genetic distance of 2), yet even as I hypothesized that our 4th great grandfathers may have been brothers, I think I was shot down in that theory (changing the TIPS numbers). It's all so frustrating. The bottom line is that I think we need more people to test.

Thanks for pitching in here. Is much appreciated.
                Last edited by mjclayton31; 17th October 2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Your haplogroup project admins will probably be more knowledgable in regards to which haplogroup subclade branch you may belong to.
                  I recommend that you join this haplogroup project and talk with the admins, they can compare you to others and group and possibly suggest path to take and or other projects which may apply

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b

Comment

Thanks, prairielad. This line makes me nervous:

"This is a public project. When you join you're making surname, ancestor and DNA related results public, from which they can never be fully retracted. Do not join if you don't want to share publicly. We do not publish your full given name or contact info."

Just my initial observation. I will nonetheless consider this.

(BTW, per 23andme, I'm R-U152)

Comment

Originally posted by mjclayton31 View Post
                      Thanks, prairielad. This line makes me nervous:

"This is a public project. When you join you're making surname, ancestor and DNA related results public, from which they can never be fully retracted. Do not join if you don't want to share publicly. We do not publish your full given name or contact info."

Just my initial observation. I will nonetheless consider this.

(BTW, per 23andme, I'm R-U152)
                      You can go to your settings and set your project results so they not public, although they will be visible to member of said project.
                      Anyone that is not a member of project will not see your results on the yDNA results page

There is also the following project to consider
                      https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b-u152/about
                      Last edited by prairielad; 18th October 2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post

You can go to your settings and set your project results so they not public, although they will be visible to member of said project.
                        Anyone that is not a member of project will not see your results on the yDNA results page

There is also the following project to consider
                        https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b-u152/about
                        Thanks for the additional link. Also, the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                        X