Where is my raw data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my raw data

Here it says that you can see your SNP raw data at the "Haplotree & SNPs" page.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...load-raw-data/

I've seen mentioned elsewhere that if you go to the bottom of the page, you can see that data and copy and paste it.

When I scroll to the bottom of my page (way, way down), I see the last line of the R tree (FGC50324), followed by a line suggesting I order more SNPs with a big button "order selected SNPs", followed by a line suggesting I might check out the "advanced SNP order form", followed by a line indicating that an asterisk represents no-call or a heterozygous call. That's the last line on the page.

Yet I've seen another newbie come on here and post a big dump of SNPs with + or - after each one. I'm missing something. Where do you find that data dump?

Raw Y-SNP data is available (I believe) only by having the Big Y-500 test completed. As there are options then to download your "raw" data.

They might be finding their "data dump" via the results posted on a project they are a member of on FTDNA. Many projects have various Y-DNA result options such as Classic, Coloured, Maps, and SNPs.

Comment

Have you done ydna snp testing?
      Or have you only done a ydna STR test (ydna12, 25, 37, 67 or 111)?

Ydna snp download only applies if you did additional ydna snp testing after ordering a ydna STR test.

Ydna STR testing does not test any ydna snps

Comment

No, I did no additional SNP testing, just the initial y-test with 37STRs. I didn't know that tested 0 SNPs. So the haplogroup is reasonably predictable based on the STR signature alone? And if my predicted haplogroup is R-M269, then the only reasonable way to go forward, other than Big-Y, is to do the R1b-M343 & M269 backbone pack? Since 0 SNPs were tested, I don't see how I could give an expert helper additional information that would yield a more precise option.

Comment

Originally posted by barryrsmith View Post
          No, I did no additional SNP testing, just the initial y-test with 37STRs. I didn't know that tested 0 SNPs. So the haplogroup is reasonably predictable based on the STR signature alone? And if my predicted haplogroup is R-M269, then the only reasonable way to go forward, other than Big-Y, is to do the R1b-M343 & M269 backbone pack? Since 0 SNPs were tested, I don't see how I could give an expert helper additional information that would yield a more precise option.
          The only way to go forward without Big Y is SNP packs that pertain to your haplogroup prediction. R-M269 is quite high up in the R1b tree.

Usually the STR based predictions are fairly accurate, some individuals have haplotypes that resemble those seen in other haplogroups, but SNP testing will clarify those scenarios.

Comment

I was struck the warnings put out by FTDNA, but especially by my surname group and the R1b group, that you absolutely mustconsult with experts before doing SNP testing. But if everyone just has a prediction based on STRs alone, and no other information, why not just place a table saying "if you're not doing big-Y, then find your predicted haplotype in the first column and buy the SNP pack given in the second". It's really off-putting saying it's more complicated than that.

But while I do have the attention of someone with knowledge, can you answer one more question: is it the case that all STRs are in non-coding regions? Are tested SNPs in both non-coding regions and in genes?

Comment

Originally posted by barryrsmith View Post
              I was struck the warnings put out by FTDNA, but especially by my surname group and the R1b group, that you absolutely mustconsult with experts before doing SNP testing. But if everyone just has a prediction based on STRs alone, and no other information, why not just place a table saying "if you're not doing big-Y, then find your predicted haplotype in the first column and buy the SNP pack given in the second". It's really off-putting saying it's more complicated than that.
              Are you a member of a surname project or the "R _R1b ALL Subclades" project? If not, if you join one of them you can see if any of you closest has a tested Haplogroup and take a chance of ordering that SNP. The R_R1b project will tell you you need to upgrade to 111 markers and order Big Y. You don't have to if you don't want to.

Comment

Working...
              X