X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cohen

I have over 42 matches for the name "Cohen."

Is this significant?

(I am waiting for the Y dna test to see if have is CMH haplogroup.)

Thanks

Not necessarily relevant to have Cohenim as autosomal matches, other than a likely indicator of substantial European Jewish ancestry.

When your Y-DNA test comes in, check at what level of testing you see any Cohen matches. Not all Cohen lines are in the CMH.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      Not necessarily relevant to have Cohenim as autosomal matches, other than a likely indicator of substantial European Jewish ancestry.

When your Y-DNA test comes in, check at what level of testing you see any Cohen matches. Not all Cohen lines are in the CMH.
      There should be some caution, but Cohen relatives are a possibility. How close are the Cohen matches.

Comment

So out of around 9300 matches my Mother who is roughly 53% Jewish has 354 Cohen matches. And her greatgrandmother’s maiden name is listed as both Pollack & Cohen on different documents so someone in our line is most likely a Cohanim.

Just to give you perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
          So out of around 9300 matches my Mother who is roughly 53% Jewish has 354 Cohen matches. And her greatgrandmother’s maiden name is listed as both Pollack & Cohen on different documents so someone in our line is most likely a Cohanim.

Just to give you perspective.
          The number of Cohen matches will depend on how many grandparents are related to Cohens. I have around 200 Cohen matches but I think that endogamy is involved---more than one grandparent. My family genealogy does not show any Cohens on my direct lines---perhaps 3 or 4 generations removed according to dna.
          Last edited by josh w.; 13th June 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X