Thomas HECK
    * 22.12.1699 in Durmersheim
    + 19.11.1755 in Durmersheim
    Notes: (notes)
    Denomination: Catholic

Parent note: Son of John I
    Alias: Thomas Heck I.

http://ofb.genealogy.net/famreport.p...e=Heck&lang=de

I very confident about the above. You can check my GGF Oktavian (he actually died in Burlington, IA not Durmersheim.

http://ofb.genealogy.net/famreport.p...modus=&lang=de

Durmesrheim has an old town book that has all this information. My fourth cousin is a town historian and has / can provided further information.

I have taken 23andMe and this my Y result.

Not sure what FTDNA Y-DNA Test I should take to dig deeper.

Thank you for your assistance.

This depends on your Goals

With FTDNA one has to do a yDNA STR test first, minimum yDNA 37 recommended for matching to other with a genealogical relevance.
    STR testing only gives a basic Predicted Haplogroup assignment, which will likely be R-M269 based on your 23andme results.
    From there if you want to find your Furthest known subclade placement your can order yDNA SNP testing. This can be a single SNP ($39), SNP Pack (approx $100) or Full yDNA SNP testing with the BigY ($575)

Big Y will give you final known yDNA subclade placement within your current haplogroup.

Once STR testing results are in, talk to your haplogroups admins for advice on SNP testing.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/my/gro...raSzE5sQ%3d%3d

Note: Sales for yDNA will be coming up on DNA Day (April 25th) and Fathers Day
    Last edited by prairielad; 19th April 2018, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Hello SHeck61!

Originally posted by prairielad View Post

With FTDNA one has to do a yDNA STR test first, minimum yDNA 37 recommended for matching to other with a genealogical relevance.
      STR testing only gives a basic Predicted Haplogroup assignment, which will likely be R-M269 based on your 23andme results.
      From there if you want to find your Furthest known subclade placement your can order yDNA SNP testing. This can be a single SNP ($39), SNP Pack (approx $100) or Full yDNA SNP testing with the BigY ($575)

Big Y will give you final known yDNA subclade placement within your current haplogroup.

Once STR testing results are in, talk to your haplogroups admins for advice on SNP testing.

If you take a Big Y test, you can get classified even 14 nodes below R-L48****. But there is no guarantee! According to YFull tree, there is at least one person that does not have any mutations that were identified, so far!, under R-L48. You could be the second one. You will not know until you test. I did not traverse every subclade (branch), but it appears to me that FTDNA Y DNA haplotree goes deeper below R-L48 than the YFull tree does.

As suggested above, STR testing might help in choosing of the suitable SNP Packs, and all
      [----] depends on your Goals [----]
      Even if your goal is information about SNPs, I would not discount STR matching. Depending on your budget, either start with Y-DNA37 test (as suggested above by the user prairielad) or Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111. Again, the only way to learn whether it would be useful is to take a test.

Mr. W.

I looked at BY20670, BY20671 and BY20672. If I counted everything right, these SNPs identify a terminal SNP (a node in the haplotree, "final" yDNA subclade placement) known as R-BY20670 that is 14 levels (nodes) below R-L48.

That is a situation as of today. It is impossible to predict whether and when tree gets expanded in the subclade of interest to you.

Comment

Thank you for this information.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
          If you take a Big Y test, you can get classified even 14 nodes below R-L48****. But there is no guarantee! According to YFull tree, there is at least one person that does not have any mutations that were identified, so far!, under R-L48. You could be the second one. You will not know until you test. I did not traverse every subclade (branch), but it appears to me that FTDNA Y DNA haplotree goes deeper below R-L48 than the YFull tree does.

As suggested above, STR testing might help in choosing of the suitable SNP Packs, and all

Even if your goal is information about SNPs, I would not discount STR matching. Depending on your budget, either start with Y-DNA37 test (as suggested above by the user prairielad) or Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111. Again, the only way to learn whether it would be useful is to take a test.

Mr. W.

I looked at BY20670, BY20671 and BY20672. If I counted everything right, these SNPs identify a terminal SNP (a node in the haplotree, "final" yDNA subclade placement) known as R-BY20670 that is 14 levels (nodes) below R-L48.

That is a situation as of today. It is impossible to predict whether and when tree gets expanded in the subclade of interest to you.

I will go with the Y-DNA37 test as suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by SHeck61 View Post

I will go with the Y-DNA37 test as suggested.
            I decided to go with the Y-DNA67 test.

>>
            <<
            Should I wait to join this?

Comment

Also is there much data from Germany? I have very good information from the family book of the town (Durmersheim) so I can trace back to 1600s my GGGGGGF. There is no other information that I am aware of. Not sure if they were there prior to 30 Years War.

http://ofb.genealogy.net/famreport.p...e=Heck&lang=de

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong place but it is all so confusing......

I had my brother's DNA tested (Y67) but did not realize that the test did not include FamilyFinder results. Is it possible to upgrade my brother's test with a FamilyFinder test using his original sample? What option do I use and how much does it cost?

Thanks

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by hick55 View Post
                  I had my brother's DNA tested (Y67) but did not realize that the test did not include FamilyFinder results. Is it possible to upgrade my brother's test with a FamilyFinder test using his original sample? What option do I use and how much does it cost?

Thanks

Anne
                  Anne,

Just sign in to FTDNA with your brother's ID and in the menu bar on the top on the right side, select 'ADD ONS & UPGRADES'. FTDNA will use the sample in storage so all you have to do is order the test and pay for it. I am not sure what the current price is.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X