J L816 haplotype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J L816 haplotype

I carry the Cohen Modal Haplotype J L 816 but have no family oral history of being descendants of the Jewish Priest class. Does this haplotype make it a certainty? Thanks

Originally posted by gwand View Post
    I carry the Cohen Modal Haplotype J L 816 but have no family oral history of being descendants of the Jewish Priest class. Does this haplotype make it a certainty? Thanks
    Is your paternal family of Jewish origin? It seems a great deal of Jewish people belong to J-L817 and its subclade J-L816.

Comment

Yes. But it was a bit of a surprise to find I carry the CMH haplotype from the priestly class since most Jews through oral history know that about their paternal line. My grandfather identified as an "Israelite" not a Levy or Cohain.

Comment

Originally posted by gwand View Post
        Yes. But it was a bit of a surprise to find I carry the CMH haplotype from the priestly class since most Jews through oral history know that about their paternal line. My grandfather identified as an "Israelite" not a Levy or Cohain.
        Perhaps the oral tradition was lost overtime.

Comment

That's what I assume. I appreciate your input. It would be interesting if the Rabbis' recognize genotyping since there are certain ritual responsibilities that go along with being a descendant of the Priest class. Probably not.

Comment

I can't find any info that says Cohen Modal Haplotype is J L 816. As far as I can find out. J L816 is a subclade of J-P58. All J-P58 means is that there are many members of that haplogroup with the CHM.

Comment

Working...
            X