Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything interesting to do with YDNA DYS values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything interesting to do with YDNA DYS values?

I just completed my YDNA-111 testing, and all I can say is 'Now what?'

I am completely unimpressed by what my FTNDA testing has told me to this point. I feel I've wasted a whole lot of money only to be told:
    1) My ancestry is 'British Isles' and 'Scandinavia'. Well, gee, thanks..... I already knew those two locations. Why no specifics? Why nothing concrete? Why nothing tangible?

2) FTNDA does not have enough YDNA customers to present me with information on possible male ancestry ties.

3) Family Finder, between the sheer number of people with no tree or not worthwhile tree, combined with the absolute bare minimum of tools, pretty much just an ugly, awkward, cumbersome chromosome browser, has proven to be a waste of time.

So, my question is- Does anyone know of something interesting to do with this information? A site that perhaps has information on possible significance of certain values in certain markers? (I already know GEDMatch- it's where I've been going for information that is actually interesting) I belong to the DF27 or whatever project here, but it seems to be about nothing but spitting out more codes that mean nothing.

Do you have any YDNA matches at 111/67/ 37 ? Those are pretty useful.

You can see where you fit on the Big Y tree. You mentioned DF27 so take a look at the DF27 Big Tree. If you have Big Y results you send you results and get added to the tree.

The more people send results the more branches are made. After I submitted my branch a new branch was discovered.
    http://ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=29

Comment

There are different levels of interest with genealogy researchers. Some as you know are more than willing to hear about their ancestors but don't have enough interest to research themselves. Even with people interested in finding documents, not all of them are interested in DNA testing. Within DNA testers, some are only willing to go so far with testing themselves or others.

Given that not everyone will have Y-DNA matches, it tends to be better to test at lower markers first, such as 37. Then upgrade later when there are matches that could be of interest.

As for why not a more specific region... well that is where the science has gotten so far. More data is needed to know if specific regions had people with certain markers that differ from other people in other regions. Maybe it will get closer to that point with more SNP data such as Big Y data but not any time soon. The fact you can even get a general idea of where your ancestors were from with some DNA at all is something.

Yes, FTDNA's database for Y-DNA is limited, but there are reasons for that as I stated earlier. You can always ask potential Y line cousins to test to help prove or disprove theories you have. Many won't, but some might show interest. The database keeps growing, just imagine how limited it had to have been for the first people to test here.

People test for different reasons and sometimes... or well a lot of the times they are not efficient about the process. They might have a tree but it could be located elsewhere. Best you can do is contact them and find out. People can be quite selfish and not care about making the matching process easier to their matches, because it is more work for them.

And no, don't take the Big Y test. Not that you shouldn't, but if you can't find much use out of Y-DNA or Family Finder, you will find less use out of Big Y.

About information from certain values your results show, I don't know if there is any. A project admin might know more.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlT View Post
        I just completed my YDNA-111 testing, and all I can say is 'Now what?'

I am completely unimpressed by what my FTNDA testing has told me to this point. I feel I've wasted a whole lot of money only to be told:
        1) My ancestry is 'British Isles' and 'Scandinavia'. Well, gee, thanks..... I already knew those two locations. Why no specifics? Why nothing concrete? Why nothing tangible?

2) FTNDA does not have enough YDNA customers to present me with information on possible male ancestry ties.

3) Family Finder, between the sheer number of people with no tree or not worthwhile tree, combined with the absolute bare minimum of tools, pretty much just an ugly, awkward, cumbersome chromosome browser, has proven to be a waste of time.

So, my question is- Does anyone know of something interesting to do with this information? A site that perhaps has information on possible significance of certain values in certain markers? (I already know GEDMatch- it's where I've been going for information that is actually interesting) I belong to the DF27 or whatever project here, but it seems to be about nothing but spitting out more codes that mean nothing.
        1. What are you expecting?

2. FTDNA has plenty of customers. It isn't their fault that there aren't more from your line. How many potential relatives had you gotten to test?

3. FTDNA can not force any of their customers to upload trees. Sure I wist all of my matches had trees and that all of them would respond to emails. That doesn't happen. It isn't FTDNA's fault. I don't care where you look you'll find lots of worthless trees. Too many people today think they are doing research when all they do is copy someone else's data. They never look for true documentation.

As already suggested, tell us about your matches at each level. Tell us your Haplogroup. Is your Haplogroup tested or predicted?

Comment

Working...
        X