No announcement yet.

Ancestral versus Derived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]In the Chromo2 raw data file all the SNPs are shown as positive or negative./QUOTE]

yes I liked that about the chromo 2. I have a panel of my Big Y novel variants ordered at Yseq. They give results as ancestral or derived.

Comment

I like to round out my posts as new information comes in.
      Another reason to report both ancestral and dervived values is because sometimes the sequence refernce points can change. In other words ancestral and derived results for any SNP are not always fixed points, it sometimes depends on who is doing the reporting. (at least as I undertood what I read)

Another case is when an SNP is newly discovered and it is not yet clear what is ancestral and what is derived.

Comment

Yet another example of why you would want them both is when there are different variants on the same location.

In the Big Y set an example of this is:
        7750789A>T (aka FGC11224) in a DF13+ individual
        7750789A>G in a L1335+ individual

Comment

Originally posted by JimKane View Post
          Yet another example of why you would want them both is when there are different variants on the same location.

In the Big Y set an example of this is:
          7750789A>T (aka FGC11224) in a DF13+ individual
          7750789A>G in a L1335+ individual
          Jim -

7750789A>T appears in two CTS4299+ individuals.

Stephen

Comment

Thanks, Stephen.

My collected data set is mostly downstream of R1b-L21. With the FGC* name I knew 7750789A>T was encountered before but the yBrowse entry doesn't give an approximate haplogroup.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimKane View Post
              Thanks, Stephen.

My collected data set is mostly downstream of R1b-L21. With the FGC* name I knew 7750789A>T was encountered before but the yBrowse entry doesn't give an approximate haplogroup.

Jim
              Jim -

You're welcome - and thank you for mentioning that FGC11224+ is appearing under R1b-L21+. I am one of the two CTS4299+ individuals whom I mentioned with FGC11224+.

Stephen

Comment

[QUOTE=Brunetmj;381798]
                Ancestral = unmutated version of an SNP
                Derived = mutated version of an SNP/QUOTE]

So if the SNP in question is present , you have the mutated version? So you do not have the SNP in question if you have the unmutated version. ?
                If thats true I still do not see the purpose of reporting it that way.
                If you look at the SNPs in your Chromo2 raw data you will be able to see the ancestral and derived alleles because they show the positive and negative states for each SNP.
                If you are DF13* then you have the ancestral alleles for the downstream SNP branches.That means that you belong to the ancestral group of those branches.I think that rare equals ancient, so you could have the most ancient form of DF13 and may point to the place of origin.This is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X