FT-DNA SNP testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT-DNA SNP testing

Looking at the products section, it seems to be all STR testing. Does FT-DNA do packages of SNP testing, or just individual SNPs or what? When you get a package of STRs tested, is any SNP testing done, or is the haplogroup just inferred from the STR result pattern? From what I've read, it seems that FT-DNA is actually running hybridization chips for the Genographic Project. Does FT-DNA do any SNP testing on chips or is it by PCR? Yea, I'm a biochemist, so my questions are a little more detailed than usual, I guess.

Originally posted by PNGarrison View Post
    Looking at the products section, it seems to be all STR testing. Does FT-DNA do packages of SNP testing, or just individual SNPs or what? When you get a package of STRs tested, is any SNP testing done, or is the haplogroup just inferred from the STR result pattern? From what I've read, it seems that FT-DNA is actually running hybridization chips for the Genographic Project. Does FT-DNA do any SNP testing on chips or is it by PCR? Yea, I'm a biochemist, so my questions are a little more detailed than usual, I guess.
    Hi,

Individual SNPs are by Sanger direct sequencing. You can also import Geno 2.0 (Illumina Microarray) results or go for the BIG Y test (Illumina Next-Gen).

Comment

New Deep Clade Test

I heard there will be a new type of deep class test not unlike Geno! Many tested with Geno but came up 'empty'! Plus Big Y may reveal New SNPs!

Release maybe March/April, is this true and if so how much will it cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
        I heard there will be a new type of deep class test not unlike Geno! Many tested with Geno but came up 'empty'! Plus Big Y may reveal New SNPs!

Release maybe March/April, is this true and if so how much will it cost?
        Yes, a new deep clade test was promised at the November conference.

Your question for specifics is good. Haplogroup project administrators need to know if and roughly when new deep clade tests will be available (presumably after Big Y results are released) and some idea of the price.

We can't accurately advise project members who haven't ordered Big Y or Geno 2.0 yet whether they should wait for a new deep clade test or perhaps order Geno 2.0 now to get a better idea of their subclade. One issue is the price of a deep clade test, compared to the Geno 2.0's price of $199. If a new deep clade test is cheaper, it would probably be best for people to wait for the deep clade test.

Comment

Bennett Quote

Hello,

Here is a direct quote from Bennett Greenspan as of this AM.
          "No plans for the current 2 quarters is all I can say now."

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
          Yes, a new deep clade test was promised at the November conference.

Your question for specifics is good. Haplogroup project administrators need to know if and roughly when new deep clade tests will be available (presumably after Big Y results are released) and some idea of the price.

We can't accurately advise project members who haven't ordered Big Y or Geno 2.0 yet whether they should wait for a new deep clade test or perhaps order Geno 2.0 now to get a better idea of their subclade. One issue is the price of a deep clade test, compared to the Geno 2.0's price of $199. If a new deep clade test is cheaper, it would probably be best for people to wait for the deep clade test.

Comment

Thanks

So as it stands, either wait for new SNPs to emerge from the BigY or order the BigY?

I hope it comes down in price again so more * will possibly order it

Comment

Big Y is too salty for me!

Comment

Working...
              X