Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A named private variant? Does that even make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A named private variant? Does that even make sense?

I admit that I don't really have a source for this belief, but it has always been my assumption that SNPs receive a name only after they have been discovered in two or more donors. Yet my BigY700 private variants list contains two SNPs, listed by location, which appear on the ISOG wiki as named SNPs within the FT index. The bottom of the wiki page says it hasn't been updated since 4 September 2020, which is exactly a week before my results were finalized.

What does this mean? That there is somebody else out there also testing positive for these SNPs? And therefore that they're not really private variants? Wouldn't that mean that they're misreported within my results? Or that they're low-quality SNPs that I shouldn't take seriously?

I'm aware that very rarely a single SNP will appear within multiple phylogenetic branches, so I could theoretically accept that such an SNP could be a private variant to me, even though relative to others on a different branch, it might be a shared variant. But I'm very curious as to why FTDNA would bother to name an SNP which they have not yet discovered in a donor. Could it be an intellectual property thing?
Working...
X