Geno 2.0 or SNP backbone tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 or SNP backbone tests

Ran my 37 str thru the offline subclade locator and received: R1b-S29-Frisian2 =>94% R1b =>3% R1b-Frisian =>1% British Isles origin so a surprise as I have a Celtic surname. I am interested in doing more on the Haplogroup but cannot spend almost 600 dollars on a big Y. Is Geno 2.0 the way to go on this as it is 149 or a M343 backbone test for 99 and what if I choose the wrong backbone test. What are experiences and thoughts from people on what is the better test outside a big Y?

There's only one backbone test and it's designed to test SNPs very widely and fairly deeply for anyone who's predicted to be R-M269. It's a very good value. However, once you get a result in the backbone test, you'll have to order a second more specific SNP pack for your assigned subclade, if you want to find your lowest known subclade, based on the latest SNPs.

On the other hand, Geno 2.0 will test more deeply at a slightly higher price. You can then upload those results into your existing FTDNA account. However, I believe that the SNP packs for R1b subclades that FTDNA offers include more up to date SNPs then the new Geno 2.0 test. I may be wrong about that, but someone can correct me if I am.

Essentially, the choice is up to you. Either one is a good choice.

Comment

"There's only one backbone test and it's designed to test SNPs very widely and fairly deeply for anyone who's predicted to be R-M269. It's a very good value."

Which test is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kavellion View Post
        "There's only one backbone test and it's designed to test SNPs very widely and fairly deeply for anyone who's predicted to be R-M269. It's a very good value."

Which test is it?
        The one you mentioned in your original post - "M343 backbone test for 99."

Comment

Ok thank you MMaddi.

Comment

Working...
          X