FTDNA 2014 haplotree update will happen on April 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA 2014 haplotree update will happen on April 25

"Family Tree DNA group administrators have received notification that the long awaited Y-DNA 2014 haplotree is to be launched on Friday 25th April ..."

Read on here:

http://cruwys.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04...d-special.html

Wow!

Thanks for the news. I haven't looked at my personal email in the last few hours, but I assume the notification from FTDNA is there; I just haven't seen it yet.

This should be interesting. I wonder if updates to our green y haplogroup designators (the ones that show up on the Y-DNA Results pages of our projects) will accompany the launch of the new tree. If they do, I guess FTDNA will use the shorthand?
    Last edited by Stevo; 23 April 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      Wow!

Thanks for the news. I haven't looked at my personal email in the last few hours, but I assume the notification from FTDNA is there; I just haven't seen it yet.

This should be interesting. I wonder if updates to our green y haplogroup designators (the ones that show up on the Y-DNA Results pages of our projects) will accompany the launch of the new tree. If they do, I guess FTDNA will use the shorthand?
      Just checked my email. The notification is there.

I am also wondering what y-haplogroup designators FTDNA will use. If they use the names from the Big Y, I will be R-CTS6581, because DF41 is known in Big Y results as CTS6581. Guys whose current terminal SNP is DF13 will be R-CTS241, because CTS241 is the moniker under which DF13 appears in the Big Y.

Things could get interesting!

Comment

Good news, although I imagine this will be a huge undertaking.

Comment

Originally posted by muso View Post
          Good news, although I imagine this will be a huge undertaking.
          Yes, given that all references to the old format (e.g. R1b1a1b2...) should disappear and be replaced by the so-called "shorthand" format (e.g. R-L21) there will be lots of places to be touched by their programmers and, hopefully, lots of pre-release testing has been done to avoid the traditional SNAFU situation.

I wonder if Ysearch, their Cinderella application, was in scope for this project. If so, then I think that may be the first time it's been touched/maintained functionality-wise by FTDNA for many years.

Comment

Oh, I hope Ysearch is tidied up and made serviceable again. It used to be such a great tool. I really miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
              I wonder if Ysearch, their Cinderella application, was in scope for this project.
              You must be sleep-posting... having a good dream...

Elise

Comment

How will this impact L21 Project?

Wow!

If they move to nomenclatures downstream from L21, how will you adjust the project? Things could get confusing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                  If they move to nomenclatures downstream from L21, how will you adjust the project? Things could get confusing for sure.
                  The project already has categories for downstream clades. It shouldn't be too difficult to adjust (hopefully!).

Comment

The project already has categories for downstream clades. It shouldn't be too difficult to adjust (hopefully!).

They should have consulted/collaborated with the haplogroup project admins on this.

Comment

No need, at least not in my case. I was just thinking about it, and new y haplogroup designators should actually make classification easier. If the member's terminal SNP shows up in the shorthand designator, as it should, then admins won't have to go into the member's Haplotree & SNPs page or review a long list of positives and negatives next to the member's name to find it. We can just place a member into a category based on the shorthand designator.

That should be a snap.
                      Last edited by Stevo; 24 April 2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Delay in rollout of new haplotree

FTDNA's main page now says:
                        ---
                        We need to delay our scheduled release of the updated Y-DNA Haplotree. We apologize for the late notice and will provide more information as it becomes available.
                        ---

I agree with others: FTDNA was "tempting fate" by running that countdown clock.

Comment

Guess I'll be hitting the sack earlier than I expected to tonight. Pleasant dreams, y'all...

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                            FTDNA's main page now says:
                            ---
                            We need to delay our scheduled release of the updated Y-DNA Haplotree. We apologize for the late notice and will provide more information as it becomes available.
                            ---

I agree with others: FTDNA was "tempting fate" by running that countdown clock.
                            Drat! I was looking forward to the new tree and the possibility of new y haplogroup designators in the various projects.

Sigh . . .

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                              Guess I'll be hitting the sack earlier than I expected to tonight. Pleasant dreams, y'all...
                              New time estimate, approximately 4:00 a.m. EST. Who wants to give me a call?

Comment

Working...
                              X