• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1b1b2a1a1

I sent in my DNA to 23 & me and received the following results

Y-DNA Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA Haplogroup I2

I was adopted at birth, in North Carolina, so all records are closed. I am slowly working through the court system in NC trying to discover surnames.

The only matches I found on 23 & me were 4th cousins and even further out, so I have ordered the yDNA 67 here and have also transfered my ydna from 23 to FTDNA and bought the family finder upgrade.

I am really new to this and so far, everything is very confusing.

Sam

Keep at it

Originally posted by sams1942 View Post
    I sent in my DNA to 23 & me and received the following results

Y-DNA Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA Haplogroup I2

I was adopted at birth, in North Carolina, so all records are closed. I am slowly working through the court system in NC trying to discover surnames.

The only matches I found on 23 & me were 4th cousins and even further out, so I have ordered the yDNA 67 here and have also transfered my ydna from 23 to FTDNA and bought the family finder upgrade.

I am really new to this and so far, everything is very confusing.

Sam
    Keep doing what you are doing. I am also an adoptee, and was able to narrow down my paternal family line through 67 marker testing, and later upgraded to 111 markers. I have recently had a breakthrough through autosomal & Family finder testing. I have a confirmed 2nd-3rd cousin match, and have a good idea of who my biological father was, half siblings, 1st & 2nd cousins, etc. (3) other members of the family are testing, so just have to wait for their test results to come in. You have to consider geographical area where you were born and timeframe, once you know your family line, then find descendants. I was lucky because some descendants had already done testing, so when I tested, I matched close to them, and I have one confirmed match, and once other results come in, then I will finish my family tree.

Best Regards, Douglas W. Fisher-Kit#122883
    Paternal: R1b-U106+Z18+Z14+Z372+
    Maternal: V19
    [email protected]

Comment

Message from Adoption Service

I just received a phone call from the Forsyth DSS asking for my Adoptive Family names. They could not find a birth certificate under my surname. They had several births on October 26, 1942. I gave them the names and have not heard from them since. I hope this means that I will be receiving some non-identifying information soon. Next step will be to file a court order to have the records unsealed to reveal birth parents name. With that, I can start the long path at a family tree.

Comment

Best Wishes

I just received a phone call from the Forsyth DSS asking for my Adoptive Family names. They could not find a birth certificate under my surname. They had several births on October 26, 1942. I gave them the names and have not heard from them since. I hope this means that I will be receiving some non-identifying information soon. Next step will be to file a court order to have the records unsealed to reveal birth parents name. With that, I can start the long path at a family tree.
        I wish you the best of luck. I did not have the option you have, so I went through the Childrens Home Society of Florida first, then I tried genetic dna testing, which has proven successful for me.

Comment

Confused

Ok, I'm confused now. I started getting results back from my YDNA111 and my Haplo group has changed to R1b1a2. I am a little excited that I have an exact match at 37 markers, but I'm still waiting for a reply to my email. Still fighting NC for information.

Comment

I started getting results back from my YDNA111 and my Haplo group has changed to R1b1a2.
            Your haplogroup hasn't changed. FTDNA uses a slightly less obsolete version of the ISOGG tree for that R1b1xxx terminology than the (2010?) version still used by 23andMe. With 111 STR markers tested, it shouldn't be very hard to deduce your "terminal SNP" unless it's one that is newly discovered, or yet undiscovered. 23andMe probably told you some SNP information that you could begin to refine, with various haplogroup predictors. Or, join one of the FTDNA haplogroup research projects under R1b. Your markers will line up with somebody else's; see what SNPs your best match has already tested. Off-modal marker values (easiest to spot in the colorized results) that you share with someone else are good pointers to the ancient patrilineal kinship that shows up in terminal SNPs.

Comment

Working...
            X