Surname Variations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob armstrong View Post
    I should also mention that Flemings were utilised in the Scottish wool trade. Thousands of sheep were exported from the Border counties via Berwick to Bruges.
    Bob
    Some very good articles on the subject of Flemish Scots at:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Co...spx?r=546&2175

and

http://moultray.wordpress.com/2010/0...e-in-scotland/

Comment

I'm familiar with those sites, Steve. They are excellent. Many of the chamberlains of Scotland were Flemings, and they were powerful men. The Flemish tradition of nobilitas saw them tending to marry their own, if possible. From my reading of Medieval works, I suspect nepotism was a strong trait for the Flanders-linked folk!
      Cheers,
      Bob
      PS Achene, Namur, Flanders does seem a possible home for your ancestors
      Last edited by bob armstrong; 27th April 2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bob armstrong View Post
        I'm familiar with those sites, Steve. They are excellent. Many of the chamberlains of Scotland were Flemings, and they were powerful men. The Flemish tradition of nobilitas saw them tending to marry their own, if possible. From my reading of Medieval works, I suspect nepotism was a strong trait for the Flanders-linked folk!
        Cheers,
        Bob
        PS Achene, Namur, Flanders does seem a possible home for your ancestors
        Achene, Belgium? That is a place I've never heard of before. It's certainly one of a growing number of potential etymological origins for my surname that needs to be sorted through.

One thing is for sure, having Scottish ancestry isn't a cut and dried proposition - there is an enormous wealth of diversity that goes into the making of the Scottish ethnos beyond just the Gaels, Picts, Britons, Angles and Vikings, much of which was probably not contemplated and had probably been forgotten by the time my Presbyterian Scots-Irish ancestors had firmly established themselves on American soil by the mid 1700's.

Comment

Flemings

Hey,Steven kins those articles are really great. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X