X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    As an old timer, I can say that when I first tested with FTDNA, all they had were STR tests. My first test was the then-top-of-the-line Y-37 test. Man, was I thrilled with the results! Later, FTDNA got into SNP testing in a very limited, piecemeal way. Back then, not much was known about the Y-DNA phylogenetic tree, and there was a lot of very stupid craziness on the internet about what it all meant. Ancient DNA testing had not yet come into its own back then.

So, I spent a lot of money on various a la carte SNP tests as they became available. At first, ALL my friggin' results were negative. Talk about a drag!

As all that went along, I upgraded to 67 STRs when they became available and then to 111 STRs when they became available. Never regretted any of it. It was all an adventure at the time.

Consider yourselves blessed that you have the Big Y-700 and can order that right up front at a considerable savings.

We old-time pioneers paved the way for the rest of you young whippersnappers.
    Hope no one minds me using this thread to reminisce. All that I mentioned above about the progress over the years of STR and SNP testing I really enjoyed. It was loads of fun.

There were a lot of wild, argumentative discussions here and there on the internet. Some crazy theories were bandied about, all of them based on the modern distribution of Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups (big mistake). As I said, ancient DNA testing had not yet become practicable. Ancient DNA results have since shot down most of those old ideas in flames. That was also good to see.

I thank God that I discovered FTDNA and ordered tests from them. I don't regret even a single dime of the money I've spent over the years. The return on investment for me has been enormous.

So much fun. It's been a wild ride!
    Last edited by Stevo; 8 June 2021, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    As an old timer, I can say that when I first tested with FTDNA, all they had were STR tests. My first test was the then-top-of-the-line Y-37 test. Man, was I thrilled with the results! Later, FTDNA got into SNP testing in a very limited, piecemeal way. Back then, not much was known about the Y-DNA phylogenetic tree, and there was a lot of very stupid craziness on the internet about what it all meant. Ancient DNA testing had not yet come into its own back then.

So, I spent a lot of money on various a la carte SNP tests as they became available. At first, ALL my friggin' results were negative. Talk about a drag!

As all that went along, I upgraded to 67 STRs when they became available and then to 111 STRs when they became available. Never regretted any of it. It was all an adventure at the time.

Consider yourselves blessed that you have the Big Y-700 and can order that right up front at a considerable savings.

We old-time pioneers paved the way for the rest of you young whippersnappers.
    Last edited by Stevo; 4 June 2021, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Family
    replied
    Thank you all for your input about going straight for the Big Y 700 and strategies for getting the best price. I appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    I'd wait for the Father's Day sale.

Leave a comment:

• vmkiili
    replied
    Big Y-700 is also cheapest to get if you get it straight away instead of doing upgrades. It is only $379 when there are sales. If you first get Y37, then upgrade to Y111 and then to Big Y-700, it costs at least $99 + $119 + $229 = $447. Getting Y111 and upgrading to Big Y costs $199 + $229 = $428. Y37 + Big Y costs at least $99 + $319 = $418.

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    STR tests like the Y-111 have lot of variability. For instance a guy who formed a new terminal SNP with me does not match me at the Y-111 level. We only match at the Y-67 level with a genetic distance of 4.

I think you are correct in going all out with Big Y 700 because you would get there eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Family
    replied
    Thank you to everyone who posted - I really appreciate it! I, too, thought there was a time one had to order an STR test first, so it's great to have confirmation that's no longer the case. And also confirmation that the Y-111 test/results/matches will be available with the Big Y 700. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• bhemph
    replied
    Yes, with a Big Y 700 test you will see any matches who meet the criteria to be a match at whatever level they tested and meet the criteria (Y-12, Y-25, Y-37, Y-67, Y-111, Big Y 700) since the Big Y 700 includes the Y-111 test. So if for example your biological father only tested Y-37, he would show as a match to you in your Y-12, Y-25, and Y-37 match lists and on the match list you can see what max level he tested to. Some people may have too many mutations in a certain section and show as a match on lists like Y-12, Y-67, and Y-111, but yes those matches will show with only ordering the Big Y 700 test as well.

Leave a comment:

• Family
    replied
    Thank you for your response! Just to confirm, I could order a Big Y 700 test only, but still see matches I have who have only done, say, a Y-37 test?

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    Originally posted by Family View Post
    Can you choose Y-DNA and see people who have not done the Big Y test, yet are matches to you at the 111, 67, 37 level of testing?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• Family
    replied
    Thank you for your response! Sounds like you were able to order the Big Y without ordering an STR test first.

I believe you are correct - 700 is the number of STRs tested. That brings me to another question. Are you able to see your matches to people who have not done Big Y testing? The 700 STRs that were tested include the 111 STRs in the 111 test, and the 37 STRs in the Y-37 test, etc. If I do only a Big Y test, I would want to see who my STR matches are among people who have not done a Y STR test, but have done a Y-37 or Y-111 test. Under your MyDNA menu at the top, do you have both Y-DNA and Big Y as options? Can you choose Y-DNA and see people who have not done the Big Y test, yet are matches to you at the 111, 67, 37 level of testing?

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    I know it used to be the case that you had to have had an STR test done before you could order the Big Y. But, according to the current FTDNA Learning Center page for Big Y under "Frequently Asked Questions," it shows under "Who can order the Big Y test?":
    Any male can order the Big Y test. However, we do ask that you consider carefully before ordering.
    • A high-quality sample is needed for Big Y. Therefore, the person tested should be willing and able to provide a new DNA sample if needed.
    • All customers are strongly encouraged to seek the guidance of a Y-DNA haplogroup project administrator before ordering.
    • Most results interpretation for Big Y will come from volunteer project administrators, including Y-DNA haplogroup administrators.
    The Big Y-700 does include the Y-111 STR markers, too.

Leave a comment:

• ianJF
    replied
    Not an expert here, so maybe someone can chime in, but does the 700 refer to 700 str's that are checked, such that you do not need to order one of the other tests first. I just jumped in with both feet and ordered the big Y. I believe this should be a question that is VERY EASILY answered but when i looked at the FAQ I did not see the answer to this Q.

Leave a comment:

• Family
    replied
    ...meant to write ... Or can one order a Big Y test without an STR test?

Leave a comment:

• Family
    started a topic STR test before Big Y?

STR test before Big Y?

Hi! Does one need to do one of the STR tests - Y-37, Y-111 - before ordering a Big Y test? Or can one order a Big Y test with an STR test?
Working...
X